Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester Auto
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Anyone want to render an opinion on this engine noise? 89K, timing belt new last summer, valve adjustment and valve cover gaskets replaced recently. Noise remained the same, if not sightly worse after the valve adjustment. Noise is minimal after it reaches normal operating temperature...just what I would consider a normal lifter noise when warm.

Engine Noise - YouTube

·
Banned
1999 Forester Automatic
20 Posts
Your lucky. It's the belt tensioner. Fix it and get rid of this thing before it costs you some real money. Get a crv or rav4. You'll be sorry if you keep it.

Bob

·
Registered
2001 Forester Auto
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but not the belt tensioner. Sold my '99 Forester with 260K miles on it for $2500, so I am not ready to ditch the Suby anytime soon.

·
Registered
2005 forester automatic
8 Posts
yes...

its the same .. although mine inst as study.. getting worse though…hearing it more often… i also WISH it wasn't the engine.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Auto
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Steven,

A Subaru mechanic of 25 years (at a dealer in Wausau, WI) said it is piston slap. He said they can make different noises. Apparently he drives a '97 Outback with 361K on it and his was pretty loud at first, then went thru different phases of noise. He also said that if it was bearings, it would not get significantly more quiet as it warms up. That's apparently more a sign of slap. I just cannot believe it is that loud until it reaches NOTemp. My '99 Forester also had slap but nowhere close to the same noise level. Anyway, Thanks and to be continued.......

·
Registered
2001 Forester Auto
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry...Stephen...darn its late...and cold......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts