Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have searched the net but didn't find a answer I was looking for.

My check engine light came on when it hit 81,010 miles. I was wondering if there is a way to display the engine code on the dash like the dodge's can or do I have to have to take it to a auto zone place to have it checked. The subie runs fine no issues that I can feel or hear.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2003 Forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
P0483 control fan rationality check malfunction

Ok I got the code for my issue .

P0483 control fan rationality check malfunction

Ummmm....yeah what the heck does that mean? I am thinking its a cooling fan of some sort issue, but my car temps are normal. Can some one push me in the right direction on what to look out for?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Reset the ecu and see if it comes back. Could just be something glitched out.

"It means the ECU turned both fans on and expected the coolant temp to decrease by X degrees after a predetermined time and it did not."

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70834

A/T DTC P0483 - COOLING FAN FUNCTION PROBLEM

DTC DETECTING CONDITION: Two consecutive driving cycles with fault

TROUBLE SYMPTOM: Occurrence of noise; Overheating

Heres a nasioc thread, apparantly its when the ecu doesn't see the coolant temp raise at all (or register) in a certain amount of time. Does the car come up to operating temp? Could be a stuck tstat, bad sensor, bad connector to the fan or fan not working properly, etc. If everything seems to be operating correctly, I would just reset the ecu and see if it comes back.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267071

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
It might be a though to have a scan of the engine temperature. The thermostat can begin to fail and start opening early. This causes the engine to run too cool for best mileage and power. If the thermostat hasn't been replaced in a few years it's probably due.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been watching the temp gauge and it sits just a hair over the first line ( qtr mark) I have not done anything to the engine since it had it's 32,000 mile check up. Well I did change out the frt and rr diff fluids. I'll look into the thermostat just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts