Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester LL Bean
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Subaru Forester L in which I just replaced the powerplant. Car ran great for about a month than developed a hesitation when driving at all speeds. Replaced spark plugs and had mechanic reset idle controls, adjust throttle cable and clean out maf. Car was also stalling at idle which does not happen now, but still hesitates while driving. I'm getting no cel's and mechanic gets no codes to read. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Cracked coilpack, usually throws a code if it's misfiring though...

Try mist testing the ignition stuffs at night with a spray bottle full of water. If you see sparks, that's your problem.

·
Registered
2006 Forester LL Bean
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New symptoms. Car is now dying after coming to a stop. After a quick restart the "at temp light" flashes and car stutters and runs very poorly - feels like on two cylinders. Fortunately this just happened a block from the house, so I made it home.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
Check the 2 plugs on the passenger side that come out of the firewall to the engine. Sometimes when they are not well plugged in, the car dies or stutters. It happened to me and that was the problem.

I also unplugged those connectors and checked the pins for any corrosion. I also used some die-electric grease to ensure a good contact.

Also, count the flashes of the AT Oil Temp light.

Scroll down to see the codes. http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/drivetrain/02Winter4EATDiagServ.pdf

·
Registered
1998 Forester
4 Posts
Engine hesitates, stops, and the AT light comes on. TOO much excitement.....

I am having a similar problem with my '98--so far have replaced air filter, pcv valve, front o2 sensor, both gas filter and gas strainer, to no avail... Next I think I will try the Intake Air Temperature and Pressure sensor, 'cause according to the manual I have managed to acquire, it is the next likely culprit. Having trouble finding the part though.....Any ideas??

PS--it shows no codes.........

·
Registered
2006 Forester LL Bean
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dtc code

I have gone through the process to retrieve the dtc code by using the # of blinks from the AT temp light and get a code of 23. That code does not show up on the list from the link posted in one of the preceding posts. I did find an obd code that lists 23 as air flow meter or circuit. When I first brought the car to my mechanic he blew out / cleaned the maf, which had no effect on the problem. Might I assume that was the right thing to do for dtc 23? I did discover that the front differential was very low in oil, which has now been rectified. Car still intermittently stalls upon stopping. No cel yet.Put on new spark plug wires with gas filter and front O2 sensor when it arrives. Still looking for suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
1998 Forester
4 Posts
On the list of possibilities, I am down to either the air intake temperature sensor or the vacuum hoses. I can't find a single vacuum hose that looks bad, so does that mean you replace all of them?? Arghh!!

·
Registered
2006 Forester LL Bean
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem solved

This may be a bit premature as I just took the car for a quick test drive but she is running perfectly. I replaced the front O2 sensor and that seemed to do it. Never got a cel only a blinking AT temp light and that I believe was because I was very low in differential fluid. Thanks for all the suggestions. Turns out that 2.5x_sleeper earns the top step on the subaru diagnosis podium for the O2 sensor suggestion. I can tell you that saved me lots of coin that I can now spend on beer!! Thanks all.:Banane35:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,755 Posts
This may be a bit premature as I just took the car for a quick test drive but she is running perfectly. I replaced the front O2 sensor and that seemed to do it. Never got a cel only a blinking AT temp light and that I believe was because I was very low in differential fluid. Thanks for all the suggestions. Turns out that 2.5x_sleeper earns the top step on the subaru diagnosis podium for the O2 sensor suggestion. I can tell you that saved me lots of coin that I can now spend on beer!! Thanks all.:Banane35:
Thanks! :icon_redface:

Always good to be able to share what I've learned & give something back to the forum! :cool:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2006 Forester LL Bean
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Persistant trouble code

Just when I was finishing my first beer!!! My 98 Forester L is still throwing a "23" code by way of the AT oil temp indicator. The O2 sensor seemed to do the trick but I guess I'm not done yet. Any suggestions on code 23? Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts