Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What engine flush would you recomend? Wynns or STP?

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has 130.000 miles on it and it needs servicing, I though that a good clean out would help before replacing oil.

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
OK I am ready to be shot down in flames here, BUT, I was told, a long time ago ( can't remember who but it might have been an old site thread on here !) that using an engine flush on the subaru engine was a bad-bad-bad idea. Never have used it.

Brian

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
I used to run a mk1 fiesta and it had 230K on the clock when I sold it and its still in use by its new owner and its never been engine flushed. The gunk is probably the only thing holding it together!!!

Personally I wouldnt!

·
Registered
2009 JDM XT Forester Auto
682 Posts
OK I am ready to be shot down in flames here, BUT, I was told, a long time ago ( can't remember who but it might have been an old site thread on here !) that using an engine flush on the subaru engine was a bad-bad-bad idea. Never have used it.

Brian
Agreed and i always run the engine for ten to twenty mins just to warm it up and then drain the old oil out.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts

Brian
Was it the engine flush in a can products they were referring to, or the reverse oil flow engine flushing machine? Those can wreak havoc on any kind of engine.

·
2,966 Posts
Was it the engine flush in a can products they were referring to, or the reverse oil flow engine flushing machine? Those can wreak havoc on any kind of engine.
That's a new one on me, never heard of a reverse flushing machine !
All the no-no comments were related to can/bottle additives.

Brian

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
It has 130.000 miles on it and it needs servicing, I though that a good clean out would help before replacing oil.
Help what? If you change the oil regularly, there is no reason to add anything to the engine other than oil. "Flushing" the engine may loosen harmless deposits which may clog internal oil passages and/or the oil filter leading to oil starvation. It may also expose old seals to fresh oil causing them to leak. To me, these risks outweigh the benefit of a superficially clean looking internal engine compartment.

If you do decide to "flush" the engine, I've heard good things about AutoRx, as mentioned before. The treament is more of a process than a flush and attemtps to mitigate the risks mentioned above. I would personally only use this product as a last ditch effort to try and restore compression to an old engine that was improperly maintained. Just my $.02.

Mark

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
Buy the Genuine Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner - that is what you should be using. It is VERY GOOD QUALITY. I get it from my local Subie dealer sure you could too.

·
2,966 Posts
Buy the Genuine Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner - that is what you should be using. It is VERY GOOD QUALITY. I get it from my local Subie dealer sure you could too.
Not 100% certain but I don't think this is sold in the UK by Subaru dealers !

I would just stick to a genuine , reliable service.

Brian

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've owned the car since July last year, the bloke I bought it from swore blind that it had been serviced regularly, but I know he was blaggin, because he blagged about other things. But hey ho it was cheap. So no engine flush then? Thats good, one less thing to buy. cheers everyone.

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo Manual
118 Posts
Mobil 1 or other top quality oil every 6k miles with a new filter at that age.

Flush is a definite no-no - crap can only be washed from bigger tubes into smaller ones.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
I think Brian's comments cme from me, most engine flushes are pointless, at worst they are downright bad for the engine!
When I was at Rover we were asked to approve an engine flush (for no other reason than to improve dealer profits) and we had to test a fair few before we found one that wasn't bad for the engine.

Simon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts