Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I have off late encountered a new problems on my 98 GLS.
It always happens when I am trying to pull off from a stand still. The car moves, then the revs drop and the engine cuts out, despite dropping the clutch and giving it gas.
Then it takes a few attempts at starting that too only after prolonged cranking.
It is not a stall as you would experience when you let the clutcch out too quickly. I have purposefully stalled it and it has restarted without issues each time.
I am at my wits end as I have only just sold of my other car to make this my main and only one.
The electrics seem to be working fine and at other times it is spot on.
I have had the timing belt replaced recently and this all started after that was done.
Any suggestions.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
Sounds like maybe a loose vacuum line somewhere..maybe never reconnected when they did TBelt. Get a flashlight and look for anything hanging loose that shouldn't be

·
Registered
1998 GLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like maybe a loose vacuum line somewhere..maybe never reconnected when they did TBelt. Get a flashlight and look for anything hanging loose that shouldn't be
Cheers mate. I am a mechanical idiot. Where am I likely to find this?
Thanks

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
Cheers mate. I am a mechanical idiot. Where am I likely to find this?
Thanks
Not sure on UK vehicle..but in states we have a white label (usually pasted on top of radiator frame) called VECI label that should have a diagram of some emission control vacuum lines. That is one place to start. Another would be to remove air filter and see if anything looks loose and disconnected near the throttle body.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
I would say that the shop that did the t-belt should make this good for you since the problem occured soon after the work.

·
Registered
1998 GLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to the shop. They connected the diagnostic computer and found no faults. A route around the engine bay revealed that the breather pipe had come undone. This was reattached.
It ran fine for 24 hours then the problem started. This time it sputters and tries to die even when the car is moving. The 'check engine' light comes on and then disappears.
The engine then dies and has trouble restarting. I have checked to see the breather pipe. It is still connected.
Any suggestions before I go back to the garage? They didnt diagnose the problem in the first place so a little help might not go amiss.
Thanks

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
do you have a record of when or if the fuel filter has been replaced. Easy fix on the older models with the filter under the hood.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
with the CEL coming on this time they should be able to pull a code, even after the light goes out the code is stored for a few starts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts