Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dont know what it is, when i am at freeway speeds and i let off the gas, i slow down pretty quickly. i would go 65 to 45 in a matter of seconds after letting off the gas. Is it a feature of the forester like in some other cars to help maintain constant speed by down shifting? or might it be a stuck caliper? I've burnt half a tank and got around 130miles out of it... and it was all highway. I dont know, but it really does seem strange. It's like im pressing on the brake when i take my foot off the gas.

i donno, any help is very appreciated.

thanks guys

·
Registered
99 Forester
89 Posts
Sounds like a stuck caliper - take it for a short 2 or 3 mile run and feel which wheel / disk is hot. Other possibility a incorrectly adjusted Hill holder not letting off.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What happens if you just shift to neutral?

It decelerates at a normal speed. if i am just rolling in neutral, i will maintain speed for a good amount of time, but soon as i shift into D, it begins slowing down and my RPM goes up.

·
Registered
257 Posts
So you can rule out the stuck caliper theory. Mine slow down when lifting off the accelerator. Not sure if your's is abnormal.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
If we are talking about freeway speeds I would say it is the forester's aerodynamics. We drive a box and boxes don't like to go over 55 mph.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Base Model
303 Posts
Yeah, not a stuck caliper is pretty obvious when they do happen. Stuck Calipers make the car shake violently, and you can smell/see smoke coming from the wheel well.

Not going to be hill holder either because you are auto.

Does your Foz definitely downshift when you let off the gas, because that would be indicative of a tranny problem.

Also try just leaving cruise control on at like 55-ish and see what happens when you back off from 65, watch the tach.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X
241 Posts
It decelerates at a normal speed. if i am just rolling in neutral, i will maintain speed for a good amount of time, but soon as i shift into D, it begins slowing down and my RPM goes up.
Perhaps the trans is sticking in gear 3 and not going into 4 (D).

At 50 in D stick it in 3. No difference in RPM means you're stuck in 3.

Dave

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps the trans is sticking in gear 3 and not going into 4 (D).

At 50 in D stick it in 3. No difference in RPM means you're stuck in 3.

Dave
I tried that and the gears are not sticking. I donno, maybe its because its AWD maybe... i dont know, i guess i should drive anothe foz jsut to see. The slowing down problem happens 20 mph and up. let off the gas, and the car slows down like im hitting the brake. when it does slow down, the rpm's go down too... can that signify anything?

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the forester have overdrive? maybe thats what it is, the lack of overdrive. when im going freeway speeds, im at around 3500 rpm's. Maybe thats the cause of the slowdown when i let off the acceleration, maybe its engine breaking...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts