Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT w/ 4WD on demand
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading some threads about the SPT heat shield and how it help keep the engine bay cool, by having 2 shields, I looked at alternatives. I looked at the SPT, COBB(?) and some DIYs for designs, I liked the single bolt method. I used 16ga steel as aluminum was more expensive.

This is what I made:

[/URL][/IMG]
I used high temp grill paint as as a base layer top and bottom and used standard paint I had laying around for the top coat. We'll see how long it last, I don't have high expectations for it.

And while I was at it I painted my alternator shroud too. Painted the same way.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I dont see putting a lot of money in to pretty the engine up. Im more for a function than form under the hood.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks, kinda goes with the the subaru blue. I need something more on the driver side now, it looks unbalanced.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Thanks. I dont see putting a lot of money in to pretty the engine up. Im more for a function than form under the hood.
thanks, kinda goes with the the subaru blue. I need something more on the driver side now, it looks unbalanced.
Aren't those contradictory statements? :icon_wink::biggrin:

Cool, idea for a heatshield. Have you thought about lining the underside of the shield with some heat reflective tape?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5MT
230 Posts
I had a Cobb heat shield which I had painted both sides in ceramic thermal barrier paint (used on downpipe also).

Also, I threw a turbo blanket on and even after flogging the car I can put my hand on the heat shield no problem, so I expect the paint to last a long time...

P

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aren't those contradictory statements? :icon_wink::biggrin:

Cool, idea for a heatshield. Have you thought about lining the underside of the shield with some heat reflective tape?
Yea kinda

not really, it doesnt get hot enough as for as I can tell. Good idea though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts