Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to have my emissions done today at the Subi dealer as I was there for an oil change, they said that the emissions computer cannot talk with the computer in my car?? So technically I failed I have a 04 XT with the STI Catback and all cats still in place, would this be a reason as to why they couldnt communicate? Also if I take it to a gas station do they use the same type of equipment or just put the tube over the exhaust?

Any info would be appreciated

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
A catback alone has no effect on emissions. Do you have a reflashed ECU?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
815 Posts
If you have reset your ECU, or had the battery disconnected in the past week or few days, your sensors may not all be reset. I had the same problem, and since all my sensors had not reset the emmissions equipment could "not communicate with ECU".

Solution? Drive around a few more days and the onboard diagnostics will eventually reset all sensors through several drive cycles.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
If you reset your ecu on the car recently it would give the same result. It takes a bit for you ecu to get the signals from the exhaust probes to say everything is working good.

This is just what I heard.

Bland...

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
Patcho said:
So technically I failed
Are you sure? In PA we have emissions testing as well. The station that I went to was unable to get there machine to connect to the ECU- but I still passed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I reset the ECU when I initially installed the catback which was over a year ago, maybe the fact that they did this after the oil change may be a reason, not sure if they check system out during this regular maintenance that would reset the ECU?

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
The catback would cause no issues like this. I passed this year and had the STI catback on my XT. Now last year I went in for inspection and the shop had the same problem you had. Their computer wasn't reading my car. They never could get a reading so they gave up and just passed my car assuming it was a problem with their pc. I had not done a thing to my car as far as mods or had I disconnected the battery. In fact, I was 2 months shy of having my XT a year so I have no clue what caused it. Now I have had it for 2 years and I don't know if they had the same trouble this year or not but they passed me.

·
MY BBEAST
2016 SUBARU FORESTER 2.5i AUTO-MATIC
714 Posts
Tell the dealership to program their computer to your car's language.....Spanglish.....lol
Patcho said:
I went to have my emissions done today at the Subi dealer as I was there for an oil change, they said that the emissions computer cannot talk with the computer in my car?? So technically I failed I have a 04 XT with the STI Catback and all cats still in place, would this be a reason as to why they couldnt communicate? Also if I take it to a gas station do they use the same type of equipment or just put the tube over the exhaust?

Any info would be appreciated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts