Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5x preme auto
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'12 forester 44k miles has driven all over Alaska and to Florida.

We have never had a problem with the car until the gas until just after the 36k mark. First time was My fault it was loose, ever since then tight or not it throws the emissions code apparently related to the gas cap. The dealer is sugesting the valve on the gas cap is malfunctioning because there is "salt and dirt all over the undercarriage.

I fee this is BS as the only emission valve I can find related to the fuel system is the valve assy. that is part of the filler neck. Any other ideas? anything I can clean.

Just had a Kid, thus the move from AK to FL, bought a house and got into nursing school so we Aint rich but i am pretty handy. Kinda dissapointed to be having this issue given we bought the thing brand new I change the oil every 5k and in general take care of the car.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
Can you post the actual code? Is it P0440? P0442? P0457? You could plug the code into the Google search box under the logo at the top of the forum page and find a good number of related threads that might help get you on the right track.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5x preme auto
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the lack of reply. House projects and nursing school got the better of me. I changed the oil today and while I was at it researched this supposed valve and it's location on top of the gas tank. I pluged the gas fill neck with a stopper used in brewing and plugged the nozzle of my air hose into the stopper, and applied pressue to the tank/ released a few times. I believe I have freed the valve. the CEL is gone. oil, plugs and Air filter. car is running noticeably smoother.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts