Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
2019 Forester
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can the emergency key be used by itself to enter and start the car? It appears not, as I can enter the car, the alarm goes off and the message "no key detected" is shown on the display, which I cannot get past. I presume the rfid chip is in the fob, and the key... is just a key?
I was hoping I could use the emergency key as a standalone way to operate the vehicle for when I lose the fob (it's gonna happen sooner or later - I would hide the key on the vehicle.) I guess I could hide the 2nd fob (turned off) somewhere in the vehicle as well...
Thoughts?
I have setup pin access.

Premium Member
2014 Touring with Eyesigh CVT
If you have push button start there is now way to to use a key. Also you show never leave a uncovered FOB too close to the vehicle or in the vehicle it will drain your battery. I am not sure why you are so sure you will loose you Key FOB.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

Registered
If you have push button start there is now way to to use a key. Also you show never leave a uncovered FOB too close to the vehicle or in the vehicle it will drain your battery. I am not sure why you are so sure you will loose you Key FOB.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul
Not true if you put the FOB to sleep. There is an off/sleep mode so it won't drain anything.

Registered
Hi,
Can the emergency key be used by itself to enter and start the car? It appears not, as I can enter the car, the alarm goes off and the message "no key detected" is shown on the display, which I cannot get past. I presume the rfid chip is in the fob, and the key... is just a key?
I was hoping I could use the emergency key as a standalone way to operate the vehicle for when I lose the fob (it's gonna happen sooner or later - I would hide the key on the vehicle.) I guess I could hide the 2nd fob (turned off) somewhere in the vehicle as well...
Thoughts?
I have setup pin access.
The key is just a key and only operates the drivers door and glove box. You must have the FOB (rf id) to start the vehicle. Don't think there's any way around this with push button start.

Registered
2019 Forester
Discussion Starter #5
Clone

Because I lose stuff (misplaced, but never found again!) One could clone the rfid chip (if that's what it is) and hide that somewhere.
I understand locksmiths can do that, or you can order the equipment off ebay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts