Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon. Using irmiger's solution and some other research, I found a single cable and connector solution for the 2004 and the Ipod. This solution takes the 13 DIN cable, and connects it directly to the ipod, without the belkin adaptor or the 1/8 connector.
Also, this solution takes the line-out connector from the ipod rather than the headphone out.
Yes, this solution charges the ipod, as well as offering a good single connection, but only in theory- I have to finish building it at this point. I will be taking pictures of the build.
Total parts:
13 DIN,
Ipod connector
solder
12v voltage regulator
Quick taps
1Mohm resistor
total under $15.
Take the 13 din, connect to proper pinouts- will be posted shortly with pics. Hopefully, it will work. I'll keep y'all posted.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/images/smilies/Banane29.gif
N

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ipod cable update, sorta.

Well, I posted when I got all my parts, rather excited that I would have this put together in a matter of an hour. No such luck, but here is the method, which should have worked. Maybe someone out there can tell me why.

I found a seller of the ipod dock connector at ipodlinux, as well as the schematic of the output. Very helpful info- it shows that there is a line out on the dock connector, so I thought that would be much better than the headphone out, which can be distorted by the eq and volume/amp. Plus, peaty noted that the head unit has the line level inputs. The last thing was power, which was also addresed on the site.

Long story short, I got the 13 DIN cable, the dock connector, the pin order, a IC voltage regulator, ferrite choke, fusible link and some lo temp solder to put this together.
Line out is ipod pins 3 and 4, soldered to the brown and orange, and ipod 2 to red and yellow. Purple is ground, white regulated +12v, @1A, and pin 18 (grey) is hooked to ground and a 1Mohm resistor, to power on and off when my forester goes on and off. One cable to charge, and to feed the signal. You will still need the silent CD, but just this one cable.

So the charging works, woo hoo, but no signal. There are no shorts that I found when I tested the cable, but still no sound from the radio. Obviously, something is wrong. The only thing I can think of is that the line out voltage is too low for the head unit to pick up, but that seems really strange, especially considering the size of the wire in the 13D cable. I'm stumped for now- if anyone has any suggestions, I'll give them a shot. Provided this worked, I even had a dock for the dash to the right of the clock, but since it does not work, I have not installed the dock.

J

·
0 Posts
Have you tested the signal to any other source, either with a DMM or to a home stereo or something? I'm just sayin that you can then figure out where the problem is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wrx! OMFG, it WRX!

OK, so today I got it to work! Apparently, it was operator error, and there was some cross in my soldering. Anyway, signal wires soldered to the 13 DIN cable's Brown, Orange, Red, and Yellow, as well as a pigtail to the purple (ground) white (power 1A fused) and grey (1 MO resistor), has yielded a single IPOD cable solution. The line out gives a HOT signal, even on 1 or 2 on the stereo, charges, and turns on at ignition! The difference is incredible as opposed to the FM modulator that I have been using. In addition, I have added a Fairchild KA78R12 inline to regulate the voltage, as well as a ferrous choke, which in tandem, looses all whirring and noise that would normally be heard from the engine. I have pix, but I do not have a host to post. If you want to see pix, please provide a link to post to.
In summary, you need the ipod plug from ridax, a fairchild voltage regulator, a ferrous choke, solder, 6' 13 DIN cable, quick splices, and solder. That is it to set yourself up with the single cable ipod solution for the forester. Total about $20 without shipping.
Post with any questions.
Regards,
Nick

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pictures finally

Well, as you can see from my excited post the other day, it works. Here is a step by step for the FXT single cable solution, with pix:
Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for any damage you do to your car, ipod, yourself, your pets, the environment, so on and so forth. Do this at your own risk and reward.
First, gather your parts. You will need a 13 din cable from buxcomm, ($4) an ipod dock connector from somewhere- (I bought mine from ridax ($2.10), solder ($2) an LDO voltage regulator ($2, or free, depending) quick taps ($1) 1mO resistor (5 for $1), fusible link (optional at $2, but good idea), ferrous choke, ($3 and optional but good idea), less than 1ft of scrap 18 GA wire, and some patience. Total with options is $17.10 without shipping. Here are your parts:

First, take a section of the 13 DIN cable a few inches from the plug and pull the insulation. Then solder the white wire to the Voltage out of the voltage regulator and the fusible link tail to the voltage in of the regulator and tape off or shrink tube the connections to insulate. Then solder the purple to the ground of the regulator, and connect to spare wire, preferably a different color than the fusible link. Solder the grey wire to the resisitor and then to the grounded wire at the regulator. Tape off. I added the ferrous choke after these connections.

Now strip off the terminal end of the 13DIN cable and the tiny wires. Disassemble the dock connector and use a hemostat to pull out all the pins. Take care to note that the pins have some polarity- the ipod connection and the solder connection share a common side on the odd pins and opposite on the even. It is a chiral composition, and when you pull out the pins, you will see what I mean:there are top pins and bottom pins, keep them straight.
Carefully solder the pins to the brown, orange, red, yellow, purple, and grey. The wires' pins go in the following dock pins: (ipodlinux.com for diagram) Yellow 1 Red 2 Brown 3 Orange 4, White 19, grey 21, purple 29 or 30.

when you plug the pins into the dock connector, be careful, the pins are small and can bend, leading to shorts. I recommend a dose of liquid electrical tape after the connector is assembled.
Next, take out the radio, plug in the 13din, and tap the radio ground and switched power, which will also help eliminate the ground loop issue. I routed my cable along the center console coming out by the driver's seat, but you can do whatever you like.

There you go- a single ipod solution that charges and plays. You will still need the silent CD, and navigate using the ipod, but it sounds great, especially using the line out. The clickwheel does not affect volume, but it will change the songs, and controls all other functions but volume.
One other option, for those of you with Nanos: Route out the section the size of the nano adapter provided for regular docks in the area next to the clock, and glue the adaptor and dock connector in line. Instant dash dock for the nano on the FXT.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
That's great! I've already done the aux input mod but I might switch over to your iPod plug. Looks much cleaner and charges, too. :bigok:

What is the recommended rating for the fuse?

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Somehow it almost always ends up being the fleshy bit that causes things not to work. (this fleshy bit here does it at least twice a week)

Great find though, and congrats on getting it to work. I smell a full walkthrough and a sticky on the way

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a nano, and it is rated at 1A, so I used a mini fuse rated @ 1A. Check the back of your Ipod- it will tell you the amperage, but it probably is 1A DC. The ipod also gives the voltage rating: 5-30 VDC, but since the car uses 12-14V, no need to change it is in spec. For further protection, the KA78R12 voltage regulator also regulates @1A. I put the fuse before the voltage regulator. Hope that helps.
All in all, it is pretty clean thanks for the compliment, but I could not have done it without Peaty's schematic and irmiger's initial design- this one only uses the line out, instead of the headphone jack that is affected by the eq and amp in the ipod.
Nick

·
Registered
06 XT
245 Posts
Can someone help me with this? I put it all together and the voltage regular got super hot instantly. I switched the "+ in" and the "gnd" just to make sure I had the pins right and fried the regulator.

here is how I had it hooked up:

The regulator I used was a radioshack 7812 12v 1A regulator. I also used heat shrink on all the wires connected to the IPOD dock so I know they aren't shorting out down there.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

·
Registered
06 XT
245 Posts
well then, I think I know what is wrong.

The back of the packaging on the 7812 regulator says:
pin 1 = input
pin 2 = ouput
pin 3 = common

but standard 7812 configuarations are:

pin 1 = input
pin 2 = common
pin 3 = output

That would explain why it got so freakin hot. Guess Ill have to get a fe wmore regulators and see if I'm right. Good thing they are only $1.59 each :)

This is what I found while researching the pin connections as well.

Code:
color	13 din	function	ipod dock	ipod func

yellow	4	inp lch -	1		ground
red	2	inp rch -	2		common ground
brown	1	inp rch +	3		out rch +
orange	3	inp lch +	4		out lch +

·
Registered
06 XT
245 Posts
well, I guess the diagram on the back of the package is correct. I connected it straight to the battery and it still just got hot. Don't know why the regulator doesn't work :think:

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
If you were trying it with the same unit that you (possibly) hooked up backwards before then it won't work. If it was hooked up backwards once, you probably toasted the unit.

Go get a new one and try it again. If you were already trying it again with a new one, then I don't really know what to tell you.

·
Registered
06 XT
245 Posts
techy101 said:
If you were trying it with the same unit that you (possibly) hooked up backwards before then it won't work. If it was hooked up backwards once, you probably toasted the unit.

Go get a new one and try it again. If you were already trying it again with a new one, then I don't really know what to tell you.
I bought 4 of them and stopped trying after killing 2. If they are hooked up completly backwards you can blow th regulator apart. I think I shot a peice of it about 10 feet and it made a nice little pop :). After tons of research I know that it is hooked up properly. I also figured out that it may get too hot to put in the dash anyway. If it has to dissipate 2+ volts worth of energy while the car is on then it might get too hot and start melting things.

As it turns out the ipod (i have a mini) is happy from 5vdc to 30 vdc @ 1a so the regulator isn't really necessary. The ipod will also only draw around 500Ma even if 10a is available.

Plugged it in without the regulator and it works great. ipod charges and I get great sound from it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts