Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having opened up my accelerator unit, how on earth do they work?

There is a square on the pedal pivot and a circular boss on the electronics. So how does it pick up the position.

Also does any one know if the pedal from a WRX 06 Impreza will work on a 06 2.5 Turbo Forester? They look identical but the part number is slightly different.

Thanks,

Max

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
Why on earth did you open it up?

On the non-pedal side, you see that little tab? That rotates when the pedal is depressed.

As far as I know, it's a simple hall-effect sensor.

If the part number is different, then I would suggest being wary with your money. If you are trying to buy used, you could always resell for what you pay. If you are trying to buy new, just buy the correct part.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why on earth did you open it up?

On the non-pedal side, you see that little tab? That rotates when the pedal is depressed.

As far as I know, it's a simple hall-effect sensor.

If the part number is different, then I would suggest being wary with your money. If you are trying to buy used, you could always resell for what you pay. If you are trying to buy new, just buy the correct part.
Here is the reason

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/electronic-accelerator-56328/

I couldn't find anything that rotated on the non pedal side. Which tab are you meaning?

I bought a used WRX pedal just to see if it was possible to alter the spring. However the pedal action on the WRX unit is so much easier than mine that I am very tempted to fit it.

The only worry I have is with the part number being different the electronics might be different and upset the main ECU. Or would it just produce an error code?

Thanks for the reply,

Max.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,796 Posts
Having opened up my accelerator unit, how on earth do they work?

There is a square on the pedal pivot and a circular boss on the electronics. So how does it pick up the position.

Also does any one know if the pedal from a WRX 06 Impreza will work on a 06 2.5 Turbo Forester? They look identical but the part number is slightly different.

Thanks,

Max

Max,

If its any help.........

The P/N for the 06 RHD 2.5L Forester is 36010SA030.

This is also fitted to an 06 RHD 2.0L N/A Impreza not the WRX.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don,

Spot on as usual with your part numbers.

Forgot to say in the first post the WRX pedal come from the USA. It has a plastic arm, not a metal rod, and a polished metal foot pad. Part number is 36010FE040.

Have you any info on this number.

Thanks,

Max.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,796 Posts
Don,

Spot on as usual with your part numbers.

Forgot to say in the first post the WRX pedal come from the USA. It has a plastic arm, not a metal rod, and a polished metal foot pad. Part number is 36010FE040.

Have you any info on this number.

Thanks,

Max.
The following tells all, its specific to LHD models both 5 and 6sp transmissions

http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/36010FE040/

Would possibly conclude from that, that the only difference is the means of mounting and possible shape of arm are different.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
So $64000 question, should I just plug it in a try it. :biggrin:

Max.
Suure, what's the worst that could happen, you end up with a car acting like a Toyota? (too soon?) Well that or it fries something in the ECU

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Sorry, but I just can't understand how the spring would be too strong. Have you tried adjusting the way you press the pedal? I also don't see how the WRX pedal would be softer, as it's supposed to be a sportier sedan than the Subaru wagon. And long drives, but you aren't using cruise control? How much are you braking? Could it be that? Have all your activites and other varibles that could affect your knee stayed the same? And the only one that has changed is the car?

You had this same problem, on the same car...two years ago??

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/06-electronic-throttle-26586/

I also noticed in another one of your threads, you said the drive-by-wire was crappy. Well, (also in another one of your threads) someone posted a link to show you how you could remap the throttle response. None of that helped?

I mean, maybe you just are getting circulation down there. Do you notice the same pains when you sit in the same spot for awhile?

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Cuddles,

Well investigated I have had this niggling problem since I bought the car in 2006, if you read the postings there are a couple of other people complaining of the same thing. Quite a while back, as a test, I lashed up a helper spring to reduce the spring tension and this has cured the problem. Possible my unit has been faulty since day one, the WRX unit is so much smoother and lighter.

I notice in a search for STI pedal sets that some of these come with the complete accelerator unit so presumably there has been no problem with swopping them over.

Max.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had another look at the unit tonight and I still can't find anything that rotates on the electronics side.

How does Hall effect work?

Max.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right having spent a week checking model and part numbers I bit the bullet and plugged in the WRX pedal, and it worked. Its like a different car, so light and smooth and I can reverse without being frightened of a sudden set off. The old pedal is definitely faulty as small movements make it move in little jerks.

I am a happy bunny, unless of course this prompts another post from Cuddles telling me what a stupid sod I am.

Max.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts