Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Subaru Forester L

Here's the problem. When I close the doors, the lights don't dim and shut off like they used to. If you have any expertise in this area you can read on for the history.

I like to play around with it (as most people seem to on this site) and have done a couple of electrical mods. I've replaced all the overhead lamps with LED's and used the diode mod from this site to get the center console lights to come on with the map light. I also installed LED's in the floor areas of the car for additional lighting.

The first time I did the floor light thing, I didn't do it very well. I've gotten considerably better at electrical things since I did it originally about 3 years ago and have since installed a much more sturdy setup. Unfortunately my original setup was able to bite me in the donkey before I fixed it.

I had a short out when one of the LED strips was kicked by a passenger and it blew out a diode in my overhead dome light. I attempted to replace the diode to no effect, and I assumed that the problem was something I couldn't see. I ordered a new dome light but now I'm getting the same symptoms as the old one.

Here's the problem. When I close the doors, the lights don't dim and shut off like they used to. The door setting is basically just a second "ON" setting now. The new assembly seems to work fine, and in fact, if I disconnect the yellow and black wire that runs in power when the doors are open the light dims like its supposed to.

So here's the question. What else broke when I had the short out? I assume there's some sort of relay that has broken or fused, but I haven't the slightest clue where it is and haven't been able to locate it by tracing wires.

Thanks for any help,

Rob

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,075 Posts
It could be that the short destroyed something inside the $$$ dome light controller module.

I'm puzzled by the "diode in the dome light", and the "new dome light". Can you describe these a bit more exactly, as I'm not really certain what blew and what you replaced.

Best approach to something like this is to isolate. Disconnect the connection between the dome light and the map lights and see what happens.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fairly hand with circuit boards and as I was able to see that a diode on the circuit board in the dome light had basically melted, I replaced it. When this didn't fix the problem (I'm thinking I did fix the old one now, but the problem is somewhere else) I ordered a brand new dome light assembly. Does that clear up your confusion?

The dome light is isolated, all of my mods are currently disconnected. Where is the dome light controller module located?

Rob

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,075 Posts
I'm just not that familiar with the SF (-2002) models to help you much more. I don't know where the controller is located.

AFAIK there is no circuit board or diode associated with the dome light in my SG model. The only diode in the vicinity provides a one-way connection between the cargo compartment light and the dome light, and I don't see how that could have been involved in your short. So it sounds like your model's wiring is a bit different from mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts