Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is new. It started out of the clear blue a few days ago. I always ride with my doors locked, just for security purposes. The other day, I get to work and when I pulled my key out of the ignition, all the doors unlocked. Strange. I hit the lock switch and it sounded like it was locking the doors again but the locks didn't move. I fiddled with it a few times and once in a while the locks would move, but I eventually had to lock them all by hand.

One thing I know about electrical problems, they can often be very time-consuming (expensive) to diagnose and repair at a shop. Anybody have a suggestion? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
My 2001 Forester used to randomly unlock every now and again for no reason. I could be parked or driving and it even did it when the car was off. Never did narrow it down but it seemed to stop if I smacked the passenger side door so I think it was over on that side.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All right, sounds great. I'll go beat the crap out of my interior haha it's gotta work!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
What I'd suggest is to remove the door panel and inspect the wiring loom from the arm-rest. You'll be amazed at the amount of dirt/dust and moisture that collects behind there.

My experience was somewhat similar. On the advice of my mechanic, I removed the passenger side panel to inspect the connections for the power window motor that was giving me some problems on my 99 Forester. What I found was some corrosion on the wires leading into the plug connection from the window button (my drivers switch worked fine for the passenger side window). I cleaned it up as best I could and used some dielectric grease around the wires and connecter and never had a problem afterwards.

Poor grounds can cause these "sneak paths" that people like bbottomley and others talk about, and am sure they will:icon_wink:

Hopefully your solution will be as simple.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for the tip. I'll see about taking the door apart on Thursday when I have off next. I haven't taken a door card off before, but I've got a sense of morbid curiosity about the job. Shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts