Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 S & L Auto
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My motor just spun a bearing at 207,xxx, big surprise... and now I have to swap ASAP cause I don't have a car... The junkyard has tons of Subaru's here in CO so I actually have a selection... My car is also auto so I want to kill two birds with one stone and convert to a 5-speed. The amount of work and know how isn't an obstacle, I AM doing this swap. I love my car, and it isn't going anywhere.

I've been reading a lot about the EJ22 into a 1998 Fozzy and now I'm convinced this is the route I'm gonna go for the time being. (Until I have money to 205/6-speed swap)

If i swap an NA Phase I EJ22(manual) with a manual tranny from another 90's Subaru (if not the same car) will I have to do any re-wiring at all since the EJ22 ECU is plug and play, and the EJ22 ECU already knows it is manual? The big trouble with converting auto to manual is the couple wiring issues but won't you avoid those issues by swapping a manual motor/ecu at the same time?

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/tb 5 speed
1,350 Posts
Whatever heads you run decide whether or not you need to rewire when doing motor swaps. If they are the same heads and work with the ECU I'd think you'd be fine. but Im not sure what sensors are on an AT vs a MT so U dont wanna say for certain

1 - 2 of 2 Posts