Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

If anyone has a few minutes, I'd like to know what is the length of an EJ257 oil dipstick. I need these 2 measurements

- F mark to the bottom of the stick (or F hole to bottom if it has holes)
- The whole part that goes inside the tube, including the plastic part
- Also, is the end of the dipstick a ring to fit the finger or a plastic T with oil logo on it?

Any photos are appreciated too.

Thanks in advance

PS: I am asking because I think I might have the wrong dipstick. The oil readings are never accurate, even after a brand new oil change

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
I'm not sure if it changed over the years, but when I go down to the garage I'll measure the one from my 2009 STI.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
Whole length that goes into tube: 18 1/8"
Tip to F hole: 2 1/8"
Ring type pull.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, thats a tab bit longer than mine. I wonder if the 04-07 have the same stick

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,022 Posts
If you drain it completely on the level...replace the filter and fill it up with 4 3/4 quarts...run it and let it cool... it should be up to the full line. If not just note where it is..end of story...its at the right level. I put in 5 quarts and call it a day.. Just do the same IMHO

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you drain it completely on the level...replace the filter and fill it up with 4 3/4 quarts...run it and let it cool... it should be up to the full line. If not just note where it is..end of story...its at the right level. I put in 5 quarts and call it a day.. Just do the same IMHO
Well its close to the low mark when i do a fresh fillup. So i prefer having the right stick to have a better idea

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just call Jackie at Annapolis Subaru and order the right one , shouldn't be too expensive, but I could be wrong

Well im from canada so it will be a bit expensive to order it from the states, but if i can confirm that the length is wrong on mine ill shell out the 15$ for a new one

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh well, my EJ257 shortblock with EJ205 heads has the EJ205 oil pan. Go figure.

I don't need the dimensions anymore hehe

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited AT
314 Posts
You probably have the right dipstick. It seems to me that me and most of my buddies with subarus all complain about the dipstick. Mine is always reading different on both sides of the dipstick and streaking oil up and down its impossible to tell with these things.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
You probably have the right dipstick. It seems to me that me and most of my buddies with subarus all complain about the dipstick. Mine is always reading different on both sides of the dipstick and streaking oil up and down its impossible to tell with these things.
You just have to develop a system. Here's mine:

Always level
Loosen oil fill cap
Wipe off dipstick first
Reinsert for a five count
Check side that faces passenger side as it leaves tube.

Mine are always consistent, depending on hot or cold engine.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You just have to develop a system. Here's mine:

Always level
Loosen oil fill cap
Wipe off dipstick first
Reinsert for a five count
Check side that faces passenger side as it leaves tube.

Mine are always consistent, depending on hot or cold engine.
Thats exactly what I did yesterday. The key was loosening the oil filler cap. Found that trick on NASIOC in an oil pan/stick thread

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,004 Posts
After 10.5 years of owning an SG, I'm going to FINALLY try this when I get home tonight.....I've lived for that entire period time never REALLY knowing how much oil I had......and the fact that the front side of the dip stick shows a different level than does the rear side....

Steve

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited AT
314 Posts
Loosen the oil filler cap you say? so just like.. stop turning it when it gets somewhat hard to screw on tight? I'll try that. I always wipe it off and re insert like 5 times, but the reading always has a streak going up, and the otherside of the dip stick that has no lettering or anything ( F and L) is always doused in oil to way above what would be on the F line if it were on the other side.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At the angle that the blade enters the oil pan / oil surface, the left side is the accurate side (the one with the F and L marks). But it really did change to a steady reading when I removed the oil filler cap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts