Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the an aftermarket timing belt on my EJ25 Engine, but I can't seem to get the white line markings on the belt to line up with the blue dots on the drivers side sprocket. The white line will only line up on either side of the blue dot. See image below.

I believe the important thing is for the output gear marking to be aligned with case split and that the blue dots on the cam sprockets are aligned with the marking on the case. So, I thats how I set it up.. I even rotated the engine several times to make sure there is no internal interference and that the blue dots come back and line up correctly with the case markings..

Is this correct? Anybody have any insight before I put the engine back in and try to start her up?

I think my situation is similar to the guy in this post: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/timing-belt-pump-change-14416/index4.html. He aligned his drivers side sprocket to the white dot on the sprocket, not the blue dot or the white line on the belt..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
You have it correct..... after market belts are marked at 44 teeth ..... should be 43.5 teeth, so the belt mark is always to the right of the cam mark.

I put this in a different thread a LONG time ago.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome.. thanks for the confirmation.. i feel much better now..

I have another question.. the aftermarket head gaskets that I bought online were more like 3 thin sheet metal gaskets each.. They fit in and installed fine, but I they were different from the standard single layer gaskets that were originally installed.

Anyone have any experience with this 3 layer gasket vice the regular single layer gasket? Is it a better design or did the vendor I bought it from send me an older design that's flawed?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
It is a MLS gasket. There will be no issues using it as long as it is installed correctly and it is from a quality manufacture, same as with any gasket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts