Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a few challenges with the wife's 99 Forester EJ25 SOHC NA. Last week the timing belt broke so she needed to be towed home. I expect the tensioner failed or one of the idlers as I didn't change them when the belt was changed about 2.5ys and 40,000km ago. I put another belt on hoping that the valves weren't bent but it only ran on 3 cylinders and threw code P0303 which I think is misfire on #3 with a flashing check engine light. I pulled the heads off and things didn't look too banged up but I found that there is corrosion on the top of #1 cylinder. The car has always used a bit of coolant, adding the Subaru conditioner slowed it down to a reasonable rate. I always expected it was the head gasket but this corrosion makes me think that the cylinder liner is cracked.

What do you think? Would this happen with a bad head gasket? I would have expected maybe some corrosion on the bottom of the cylinder if anything.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
To me that looks like a cylinder that has had the rings stick on the piston, Once they stick they miss portions of the cylinder wall. The oil that blow by that passes the rings stains(looks a lot like rust) the untouched area of the cylinder.

Why I suspect stuck rings? The out side edge of the piston has damp oily areas that coincide with the rust colored stains on the cylinder wall.

Stuck rings are some thing that is some what common with Subaru engines that have been run with low oil(1QT or more low) for an extended time. The oil gets hot and bakes to the piston/ring seizing it in place. Some times one can get lucky and the free them selves up, but the stain will remain as a indicator for tens of thousands of miles.

This is just my thoughts from seeing pics, in person can be a whole different story. I doubt a cracked sleeve, you would have known shortly after it happened, runability issues.

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

I'm pretty sure it's rust. I put a bit of motor oil on it to see if it would just wipe off. I turned the motor over 1 or 2 revolutions to see if the rings catch on anything. I think that's the fresh oil you see on the pistons. The car has about 255,000 km (150,000 miles) There were a couple drops of coolant in the cylinder too but it may have gotten in when I pulled the head off.

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a pretty good deal on a motor from an 02 Impreza 2.5 SOHC. It has some damage on one side of the timing cover so I'll need to swap some parts from my 99. I looked at an interchange site and it says it doesn't match. Any ideas what's different and if I can make it work?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
Use your intake and sensors .... the 99 was a MAF, the 02 a MAP intake. use the long block and you should be good.

ALSO be certain the 99 has a EGR port. I feel certain the 02 does. But something to check on the rear drivers side head.

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been a struggle calling junk yards. They basically have a very narrow listing of motors that they say will fit. Not sure why they don't say 'will fit with intake switched' or something. They also say that some model AT will not fit in MT but other years will. What might be different there?

I've narrowed it down to a 2002 Impreza EJ25 or a 2003 Baja EJ25 Any differences in these besides the intake? The Impreza motor has a damaged cam cover and maybe rockers too. Can I reuse the cover and rockers from my 99?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
You should be able to reuse those parts. Just check IF you have an EGR, you have a tube from the drivers rear intake to the left head rear. Look at the 02 Impreza and be certain it has this same port ... or not. Otherwise should be a straight replacement just moving over the intake and sensors.

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I went with the 2003. My 99 doesn't have the EGR port so I gather I can just plug that on the head of the new one when I put my old manifold on. Hopefully all goes well. There's a lot of snow in the forecast.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
So I went with the 2003. My 99 doesn't have the EGR port so I gather I can just plug that on the head of the new one when I put my old manifold on. Hopefully all goes well. There's a lot of snow in the forecast.
Yes,exactly what I did when I put an 04 in my 01.

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The continuing saga:

The 2003 motor now sits where a 99 used to. I change the timing belt/tensioner and idlers. The crank and cam sensors and triggers look identical so I didn't change them. EGR port is plugged.

I have run into another difference though. There is a tube at the rear of the engine that is different. I thought I would just take the stuff off of my old engine but it broke at the bottom where it attaches to the block. I'm not sure what it's for or what the best way to match it to my old manifold. I'm guessing it's part of the PCV system.

One picture shows the old part to the right of the 2003 tube. The other picture is of the 2003 engine by itself (intake manifold removed).

Any ideas what it is and what parts I should order to match it to my 99 manifold? Names of parts would be good to talk the the parts guy about replacements. (instead of the hose thingy at the back of the motor)

Thanks for your help so far.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
It is one of the lines in the PCV system as you guessed. Go to the dealer and look up related part numbers and find what you are missing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts