Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XS 5MT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Unfortunately my 2005 Forester threw a rod soooo, I guess shes getting a new motor. But where do I start? I know my engine is the EJ25 but when looking for a new short block or long block I keep seeing tons of other versions, Ex: EJ251,EJ253,EJ255 and EJ257(I think 257 is not N/A). What is the difference, can I put any of these in my Forester with out changing anything?

Also, I have heard both sides.. are these engines interference? If not, I would love to just be able to replace the Short Block. Could that be possible for a thrown rod that caused a hole in the block? Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X Standard
13 Posts
I just finished installing an ej251 in my 05 forester with originally a 253. Everything bolted up.
Had to change the pcv pipe in the block, used my 253 heads. The pistons looked a little more dished but it stil has plenty of power.
Engine removal is easy, so you might as well do it now so you know where youre at. You can pull the pistons out without splitting the case if you want to. Take your time cleaning...no power tools. You may want to save your heads if you dont have any leaks.
The rod was sloppy that i threw and the head was still ok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts