Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Fozzie
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am replacing the longblock in my 02 OBW with a EJ25 SOHC from a 99 Forester.
I am swapping over my intake and everything else but I am starting to come across different "kits" specific to forester and legacy outback.

Anyone have any input as to which kit I would use? I was under the impression that the 99-05 EJ25 SOHC was identical in regards to the tbelt/WP and idlers/tensioner and what not.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
It's the same. Since 99, the engine is a phaseII meaning the second generation one.

·
Registered
98 Fozzie
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize that, but the part numbers are different. Thus they are likely not the same.

Do you have any reasoning for stating such?

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
Engine changed from DOHC to SOHC in 99 for the OBW . Part#'s are most likely for the DOHC.

·
Registered
98 Fozzie
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They are not the same and "guesses" like this is not the most appreciated thing by myself or others for future search reference.

As I stated in my 1st post these were lookups for a 99' sohc forester and a 02' obw.

13028AA231 forester
13028AA21C outback

Very similar but not identical. I'm not in a position to buy both.
The belt tensioners come up as the same part number 13033AA042 - which is great. I am guessing that the difference in parts is due solely to the timing marks and that the components are all the same.
At this point I am thinking of just waiting until I rip everything apart to try if I see different marks - I will likely swap all the 02' parts over (pulleys, covers...etc) and just order everything for the 02'. Its somewhat still hit or miss because I do not have these parts from the 99' Longblock, it is bare without any of these parts.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Before jumping on "huck this" there are a few things you need to know. Yes the two do have their differences, how ever you need to set it up the same as the forester was(so there really is no reason to be looking at the OBW stuff) as there can be a few other changes. So in essence order the forester kit or play mix and match and hope you get it right.

To set it up the same as the Forester engine.
You will need to check/swap the crank and cam sprocket(drivers side has the triggers) off both engines to make sure they have the same number of triggers in the same location for the crank position sensor and cam position sensor to read. If they are not the same you will need to swap the crank sprocket and the cam sprockets from the old Fozzy engine to the new OBW engine making it so you would need the Forester kit. I would also verify they have the same number of teeth as this could account for the difference in the tooth counts.

You may also have to swap intakes and wiring harnesses(I don't recall if there is a change between MAP and MAF between the two).

Welcome to the club of lego cars.

I know several of the timing belt related items have different part numbers between the two like the crank sprockets and idlers but I am not about to do the research and post them for each. Instead here are two links to help you look and decide what you want to do, The opposedforces link is basically a beta subaru parts look up. Some of the numbers are out dated on it.

subarupartsforyou.com (lists part numbers)

opposedforces.com/parts/

Here are the two tooth counts you may need.
I have always just set it so the marks are at high noon with the tensioner released. Then made a quick count of teeth to verify, always ending up on either the 46.8/43.7 or 44/40.5. There are two different tooth counts depending year but I have not figured out what changed to get the different counts. Never had the two engines side by side.

2004 manual shows 46.8 tooth length between passenger side cam alignment mark and crank sprocket alignment mark. Then 43.7 tooth length from the crank sprocket to the drivers side cam mark.

2000 and 2002 Impreza manuals are 44 teeth and 40.5 teeth.
Also are both engines equipped with or with out a EGR?

·
Registered
98 Fozzie
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before jumping on "huck this" there are a few things you need to know. Yes the two do have their differences, how ever you need to set it up the same as the forester was(so there really is no reason to be looking at the OBW stuff) as there can be a few other changes. So in essence order the forester kit or play mix and match and hope you get it right.

To set it up the same as the Forester engine.
You will need to check/swap the crank and cam sprocket(drivers side has the triggers) off both engines to make sure they have the same number of triggers in the same location for the crank position sensor and cam position sensor to read. If they are not the same you will need to swap the crank sprocket and the cam sprockets from the old Fozzy engine to the new OBW engine making it so you would need the Forester kit. I would also verify they have the same number of teeth as this could account for the difference in the tooth counts.

You may also have to swap intakes and wiring harnesses(I don't recall if there is a change between MAP and MAF between the two).

Welcome to the club of lego cars.

I know several of the timing belt related items have different part numbers between the two like the crank sprockets and idlers but I am not about to do the research and post them for each. Instead here are two links to help you look and decide what you want to do, The opposedforces link is basically a beta subaru parts look up. Some of the numbers are out dated on it. I hope everyone on this board is mature enough to not take personal offense to being called out on something like this - I mean nothing personal to him or anyone else. I am merely trying to get good info into a post.

subarupartsforyou.com (lists part numbers)

opposedforces.com/parts/

Here are the two tooth counts you may need.

Also are both engines equipped with or with out a EGR?

I was kinda hoping you would chime in, that is the main reason I posted on this board. For reference:
1) Huck This, I'm sure is a good guy and means well, should be "jumped on" and so should anyone else spreading bad/incorrect info. I asked a specific question that got a general response that happens to be incorrect - that is NOT a good way to go about answering peoples posts. Not only for me but also for any other person doing research in the future.

2) This is all going into a 02' OBW - longblock is being used from the 99' SOHC Foz.

Since this is going into the OBW and the sensors will be used from the OBW (as will the IM and harness) my thought was to used all OBW parts and do as you said and swap everything over (pulleys and such). If the dimensions are all identical on the longblocks than swapping OBW junk onto the foz block/heads should work perfectly (this includes the timing covers/markers from the OBW).

Assuming this do you still recommend ordering everything for the Foz? I am guessing that you thought this was going into a Foz and that the Foz harness and such would be used - its the opposite though.

Both have EGR's (yay) and I've already done all the research, I do not expect anyone to do this for me at all. Subarupartsforyou is what I used for everything and I made a spreadsheet showing all the difference in art #'s from the 99' Forester and the 02' Outback. That is what scares me a bit because I don't know what the difference in part #'s actually indicate on the part(s) themselves.

I surely appreciate that tooth count link - I will be sure to try and check that (though I don't have the components from the forester to do so).

On a side note I am about to pull the motor from the OB and I already pulled the 99'. Do you think there are any pics of anything I could shoot to either help myself with diagnoses or for board reference? :icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
My fault for assuming it was a OBW to Foz swap. Looking at it again you clearly stated it the other way, reading comprehension fail on my part.

Yes, you would be right in reversing what I said. Use the OBW Pulleys, idlers, intake.... and order the kit for the OBW and not the Foz.

Some of the part numbers out there are old part numbers that have been updated to a new one. IE the part for the Foz with a different number may actually be the same one as the OBW when you get it in your hand just that the OBW one was not yet updated in the system. I hate superseding part numbers in that regards.

Just transfer(order for) the critical parts from the OBW engine to the Foz engine(crank and cam pulleys) and all should go fine. I have no issue doing research for people most of the time I am just trying to get stuff done around the house today and don't have the time to park myself at the computer today for long periods.

Odd thing was, I was going to pass this thread up until I seen your last post telling huck not to guess:biggrin: . I knew what he meant, either T-belt kit "will" work even though the parts may be different (single row bearing vs double row, guide lip on the lower idler pulley or not). The big points are the crank and cam pulleys.

I was under the impression that the 99-05 EJ25 SOHC was identical in regards to the tbelt/WP and idlers/tensioner and what not.

Thanks in advance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts