Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
01 forester l
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:icon_surprised:hi all,was just wanting to know if anyone knows if a older ej22 out of a 94 legacy will fit my 01 forester ? thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just curious but why not just go with a 2.5. If your motor went it would make sense to replace with the same or better, not smaller. I wonder if an H6 would fit?

·
Registered
01 forester l
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ej22

reason for ej22 is i have a extra out of legacy laying at shop.would like to get forester running for now to check trans,wheel bearings etc,then 2.5 .

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I think a 2.2 would be way under powered unless it is the turbo version. It was underpowered in my Impreza wagon and that car was 400-500 lbs lighter than than the lightest forester.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
21 Posts
Also Interested!!

I am also interested in this swap, as I have a 99 forester with 453,000 on it and the motor has a knocking noise and misses only at low RPM's. Every filter in the book and new plugs/wires did not fix the problem, so I am now broke and the motor will soon be too. I have a friend that swapped a turbo motor from an older legacy into his 97 Legacy L, and now has an EJ22 with just about 200,000 and a new timing belt sitting on a crate in the garage. I would like to know what problems, if any, i would have while trying to put that EJ22 in my Forester. Will the engine bolt up? Will the wiring harness plug and play?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Will it fit? Yes.

Is it worth it? Only if you HAVE to drive the car. It'll be slow. Borderline too slow to be considered safe.

I am 99% sure that it'll bolt right in, and I'm also pretty sure that the 2.5L ecu will run the 2.2 fine. I know people do the 1.8 -> 2.2 swap, and run the 2.2 on the 1.8 ECU without any problems.

Worst that'll happen is that it won't run, and you'll then be no worse off than you were with a blown 2.5L.

You should just be able to swap the long-block and drive off.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
21 Posts
perfect, thanks a bunch... The truck is too old to invest any more money into.. I just want to keep it going until i can afford one with less miles.. Thanks again

·
Registered
01 forester l
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ej22

thanks for reply already installed ej22 ,its out of a 95 legacy,used ej22 intake and drilled top of intake for 2.5 map sensor also made a adapter plate to fit 2.5 throttle body to intake old 2.2 idle air control on side of intake and made block off plate for it.used the 2.2 injectors just had to switch injector connectors with 2.5 ones so i cound use 2.5 engine harness.2.2 only has 4 bell housing bolts and not 6 but four will i am sure .a little down on power but going to open up exhaust and cold air will gain some back.will find a 2.5 later got vehicle cheap and wanted to see how every thing else worked

·
Registered
98 Forester
1 Posts
Anyone have a write up on this? I got a 98 forester cheap last winter I knew the headgaskets were on there way out when I bought it. I was going to rebuild it, but I'm working alot so really don't have alot of time to do it myself. But i saw a complete motor at the junk yard out of a 95 Legacy for $300 with 80,000 on it. I was thinking if i could swap it and either leave it if I like it or rebuild the 2.5 slowly as i get time and swap it back.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
21 Posts
EJ25

I have an EJ25 DOHC Phase I motor with rebuilt heads (less than 10,000 on them).. I bought it for my 99 Forester, but i changed my mind because of the wiring issues.. It's out of a 98 Forester so it should fall right in.. Only kicker is I"m located in Kirkland Lake, Ontario, Canada.. You can have the motor for 200$ if you want to get it to where you are on your own.. I know it's inconvenient, but if u want a good price on a good motor it's an option for you.

email me if you're intersted: [email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts