Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 Lineartronic CVT TR580
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 2019 Forester has some kind of oil filtration on the PCV and EGR systems or it is still necessary to put oil catch cans?

Also I have seen WRX owners run 2 oil catch cans. Does that mean they put one on the PCV and one on the EGR?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
33 Posts
There are a few threads on this in the engine subforum I believe. I put in a catch can but some say it is not needed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i put one in. when i took out the hose, with only 700 miles, there was quite a bit of oiliness in the hose, enough to drip when i pulled it out. surprised about how much was there. im at 2000 miles now, i havent checked the can yet. I probably should..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i put one in. when i took out the hose, with only 700 miles, there was quite a bit of oiliness in the hose, enough to drip when i pulled it out. surprised about how much was there. im at 2000 miles now, i havent checked the can yet. I probably should..
Can you post an update when you check your oil catch can? Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
33 Posts

Checked my can at 4500 miles. Installed catch can at around 500 miles. About 1/2" deep on the Mishimoto catch can.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installed at 700, currently 3400. So within 2700 miles.
@AdrianFozz
Thanks for sharing! Definitely worth the investment. Did you install it on the PCV hose or on the EGR one? I plan on putting two oil catch cans - one for PCV and one for EGR.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
I have a '17 but Mishi doesn't list any kit for my 2.5i
... guess will call on Moanday and ask about using just a generic small can and deal with the fab issues.
Seems like a great option to extend engine life.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Curious as to what model Mishi catch cans folks are running.
I saw 3 " flavors" to choose from:
... Unbaffled

Baffled and filtered with 40 micron bronze screen

... and then an upgrade of previous that doubles the price but the screen is larger and projects downward into the center of the can( cone shaped).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Definitely worth the investment. Did you install it on the PCV hose or on the EGR one? I plan on putting two oil catch cans - one for PCV and one for EGR.
hmm.. never thought of placing one at egr.
thats definitely something i shoul dlook at haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts