Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow Fozzers!...lol well not fellow as i dont have mine yet

Anyways..:(.. when I do get my forester, I was planning on a car-puter mod. I have an old EEEPC lying around with a touchscreen mod I did last year.
Has anybody here ever used an eeepc as a car-puter? just want some pointers/ideas really. I noticed a lot of people use the 7" vga lcds but I would rather just use my eeepcs lcd. I can do this, I just wondered if anybody else has done this?
Any car orientated software anyone can recommend? such as xp based sat nav? or media center software.
Would also need a 12volt to 9v converter to run the eee.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Hello Fellow Fozzers!...lol well not fellow as i dont have mine yet

Anyways..:(.. when I do get my forester, I was planning on a car-puter mod. I have an old EEEPC lying around with a touchscreen mod I did last year.
Has anybody here ever used an eeepc as a car-puter? just want some pointers/ideas really. I noticed a lot of people use the 7" vga lcds but I would rather just use my eeepcs lcd. I can do this, I just wondered if anybody else has done this?
Any car orientated software anyone can recommend? such as xp based sat nav? or media center software.
Would also need a 12volt to 9v converter to run the eee.
Sounds like a great idea but one that I don't think has been tackle around here. I would really love to see it. The only major hurdle would be extending the monitor and touchscreen leads.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if I manage to get it done I'l post some pics!

Yeah extending the LCD ribbon cable and my touch screen wires is the only problem. Well until I get my forester I could mod my eeepc, prepare it for its new job.
I'm also considering where to mount it, where the head unit goes or on the top where the clock is in an enclosure. Not sure if I can get that enclosure in the UK though. Forester bits and pieces are hard to come by in the UK... as usual the UK sucks.
The model i'm after is the 03-05. Should be able to ship some stuff over from the US surely.
I am loving some of the mods i'm seeing on this forum though! giving me ideas!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
70 Posts
You might check out openICE. Includes navigation via Navit.

We've got an eee PC, but I haven't done the touch screen mod yet. I'm looking for a solution, but I think I'd rather use a 7" touch screen and the remains of a laptop.

Interested in seeing what you get!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've got an eee PC, but I haven't done the touch screen mod yet. I'm looking for a solution, but I think I'd rather use a 7" touch screen and the remains of a laptop.

Interested in seeing what you get![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the links, they both look like good things to look at, especially ice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts