Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm flying into Edmonton this Saturday morning to take delivery of my, new to me, 04 XT baby and then taking Saturday, Sunday and Monday to stretch her legs. Can't wait!

Anyone got any advice of route/stop offs/places to check out?

I'm planning on this route. It's not the most direct but I plan on making stops at; Icefields Parkway for the Columbia Glacier, Lake Lousie, Okanagen, Peachland, Osoyoos and then the sweet twisties of the Crowsnest highway for the home stretch.

·
Registered
2010 XTL
15 Posts
That's a GREAT trip! Make sure you stop and check out the Hope slide (just east of Hope) if you haven't already. It's pretty amazing if you're into that kinda thing.

Also, if time isn't an issue, I'd jump on Hwy 7 (Lougheed Hwy) at Hope, since that's a much nicer drive into Vancouver than Hwy 1.

I'm jealous!

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,781 Posts
I've driven most of that route, in pieces. It's beautiful! Jasper is one of my most favorite places in the whole world. (So is Edmonton, but because that's where my grandkids live!) A quick stop at Athabaska Falls and/or Sunwapta Falls along the Icefields Parkway would be worth your time.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Still looks like a blast, watch for the RCMP on transcanada and down through the okanagan, they will be out for the long weekend for sure. Fillup in revy before you turn south, then you won't be trying to find good gas in lumby, lol.

where do you plan on stopping over? Nakusp has hotsprings....:woohoo:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
...Nakusp has hotsprings....:woohoo:
I now plan on stopping in Nakusp!

I have no definite plans on where and when I am stopping, I am so far just compiling a list of must see/do items and will then fit sleeping and eating in around those. Cheers for the Revelstoke fill up tip, I feel I'm going to be making use of the fuell filler cap a fair amount while keeping to the posted limits at all times.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stop in Edmonton and take my XS and I'll take your XT :p

I wish I had held out longer and gotten an XT, but I was borrowing my dads car and he was getting whiney.
I've waited a long time to find a clean XT I was happy with, you'd have to wrestle the keys, 'from my cold dead hands!' :)

I'll probably scoot over to the mall just to bathe in its Vegas style opulence (I love that you can buy a vacation package to a mall!), grab a coffee, and snap a photo. Short of that Edmonton isn't high on my, 'things to see' list I'm afraid.

·
A putz eh?
2004 Forester
79 Posts
I've waited a long time to find a clean XT I was happy with, you'd have to wrestle the keys, 'from my cold dead hands!' :)

I'll probably scoot over to the mall just to bathe in its Vegas style opulence (I love that you can buy a vacation package to a mall!), grab a coffee, and snap a photo. Short of that Edmonton isn't high on my, 'things to see' list I'm afraid.
Edmonton outside of the mall should never be on anyones list of places to go. I hate it here, 27 years of it. Have to be a sadist to live here, or Alberta in general.

Hoping I can suck it up long enough for my company to open two SoCal locations or give in for the new Seattle location.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you should be able to view the photos here - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=3e93e289d8

The captions pretty much sum up the details of the trip, suffice to say Icefields Parkway makes the Sea to Sky Highway views look like a damp dreary wet day in September and this section provided the biggest grin to right foot factor I think I have ever had, bearing in mind I grew up in South Wales, the home of the 'B road'.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Elk, not deer.. :biggrin:
looks like you had fun, How bad are you are going to miss those roads when you are stuck in rainy vancouver traffic.. don't be one of those coasties who never enjoy the rest of our province..

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've trekked the Okanagan valley top to bottom and made it to 200kms south of the Yukon boarder, the problem is I'm running out of roads in BC (there aren't that many) not to say they aren't breath taking, but there is plenty south of the 49th to check out too! Mount St Helens, Oregon trail, etc.

I guess Vancouver Island and the sunshine coast should get some tire time this summer no doubt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts