Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FSTI was imported by Car Planet and a quick call to them has confirmed that mine is completely standard with no UK fuel remap, therefore must be running 265bhp.

Therefore, i was thinking of an ECUTek remap, but was wondering what the bhp gain would be? I see the Litchfield imported ones are running 330bhp, but would that need a revised exhaust system as well as a remap?

Has anyone had this done? I was wondering what the real world difference would be.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
How absolutely ****ing dare they let a car go out without a fuel map. !!!

I bought mine from there and was very specific to confirm that it would get a UK fuel map before I got it. I also had a performance pack of exhaust/fuel pump/ecutek done at the same time though, so don't know if they would have done the fuel map otherwise.
My next remap confirmed the original one had been done though.

An ecutek will cost around £600 if it's the first one, but will definitely release more horses, even without any upgrades, but a panel filter should be the minimum you do. Personally I would not run an FSTi without at least a map for fuel.

The Lichfields get a Milltek exhaust system too from memory.

I would suspect 265 is on Japanese fuel too.

Drop the JollyGreenMonster a line.
http://www.jollygreenmonster.com/

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
I'd definitely go for a remap, I suspect you ECU is having to pull ignition advance like mad on Uk fuel.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, sounds like i need to get it booked in!

Excuse my rookie ignorance, but what's panel filter?

Any recommendations for somewhere in or around London that are worthy mappers?

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,546 Posts
Definetely!
I test drove a standard FSTI before buying mine and the car had no pull low down and felt slow even compared with my 07 WRX wagon (OK, I did't really push it hard enough to be honest since it was to my car).
Give Richard at Tracktive a call, he mapped mine and I have been very happy with it.
Being an ex-WRC mechanic he knows his job well.
They also make their own exhaust system which I would be willing to try as the Miltek can be boomy at certain revs. Noise is totally subjective though so a boomy exhaust to one could be totally quiet to someone else.
A person I know has bought Richard's previous WRX that has been mapped by him and has done more than 70k miles and is very happy with it.

·
Registered
2004 Forester Sti 6 MT
721 Posts
Guys,

I wouldn't be that precious about a remap for UK fuel. My car was modded in Japan with different panel filter, full exhaust system and a few other mods. The map is absolutely standard as I have downloaded it via Tactrix/OBD2 and done a table by table comparison with a standard ECU map for an FSTI.
I usually run on Vpower, but even with some other fuels I use in emergency my ECU is pulling no timing at all. I am running IAM at 100%, and there is no Fine Learning Knock Correction showing at all so the ECU is applying full advance.
When I log full throttle runs, there are no knock events and no timing pulled.
I do get my knock sum incremented at times tho, but on a long journey these are pretty rare and are usually around light throttle on/throttle off during high speed cruise. In any case they are low load events and are ignored by the ECU.
All FSTI map versions that I have looked at have been absolutely identical for all FSTI models.
So....
I am not saying that in every case everything will be fine. The advance on the JDM map is high (compared to USDM at least). But quality fuel certainly helps and I think you will be pretty safe on VPower.
If the ECU does pull timing it will either pull it slightly in the problem areas using the Fine Knock Correction, or pull a percentage across the board using IAM number. In any case the ECU has a knock strategy to minimise engine damage.
1. Run it on VPower to be safe
2. If you have to put in lower grade fuel because you cannot find a shell garage then just go easy on the engine
3. Get it remapped or buy a tactrix cable to log your engine health

btw, with a standard map my car made 300bhp on the nose at Surrey Rolling Road (that was at 26 degress, maybe more if colder!)
Most of the power from a remap comes from upping the boost from 0.8 to 1.3 bar.

Al

·
Registered
2004 Forester Sti 6 MT
721 Posts
Also, before I forget...

I held off getting a remap as I didn't want hassle with the insurance for the first year at least. So I went to the rolling road in order to check that everything was OK for the fuel.
Its not a definitive check but, at Surrey Rolling Road, Charlie and Pat Herborn where there and by looking at the way the car performed under load they gave me confidence that no timing was being pulled, the car wasn't stuttering mid pull or anything and that I the car was happy and not in immediate danger.
Its only £50 odd and well worth a visit to check the health of your car.

Al

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Also, before I forget...

I held off getting a remap as I didn't want hassle with the insurance for the first year at least. So I went to the rolling road in order to check that everything was OK for the fuel.
Its not a definitive check but, at Surrey Rolling Road, Charlie and Pat Herborn where there and by looking at the way the car performed under load they gave me confidence that no timing was being pulled, the car wasn't stuttering mid pull or anything and that I the car was happy and not in immediate danger.
Its only £50 odd and well worth a visit to check the health of your car.

Al
2nd that too. Air/Fuel ratios mucho importanto.....

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never being one to do things by halves, i have booked it in with Simon at JGM for a remap and he is giving me a free rolling session at Surrey.

Have noticed that i currently don't have much more poke than my old 2.5 FXT, especially low down so would be good to get things a little more cooking.

Any recommendations for good panel filters also welcomed!

·
Registered
07 Sti
146 Posts
When I bought my Litchfield imported FSti I ran the first 1000 miles (to oil change) on the stock 265 horses, before going back for the Miltek and remap /rolling road to 330hp / 330 lbft.
The difference was amazing, I still recall the grin factor driving the 80 miles home -you won't regret it!

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
My car came with a K&N filter and Miltek system when Powerstation did the mapping and I replaced the filter with a Sti one (better filtration and is made of paper so no need for oil that messes up the MAF)and added a Walbro pump before Richard at Tracktive did his magic :)

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
True but I prefer the better filtration of the Sti element.

·
Registered
2006 Forester sti
336 Posts
When I bought my Litchfield imported FSti I ran the first 1000 miles (to oil change) on the stock 265 horses, before going back for the Miltek and remap /rolling road to 330hp / 330 lbft.
The difference was amazing, I still recall the grin factor driving the 80 miles home -you won't regret it!
Yep I agree with you Hot Rod, I went from the standard to 343 lbft torque it totally transformed the car. Had it done by Powerstation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts