Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an open source piece of software for ECU fiddling that is Mac OS compatible please?

thanks in advance

Mike

·
Registered
2004 Forester Sti 6 MT
721 Posts
For Subaru there are only two choices regardless of platform for editing:
Romraider which is opensource, java based and is compatible with MAC OS with a bit of tweaking according to this: RomRaider • View topic - Linux / Mac Builds here

ecuEdit which is trial for free, money for full license. Nicer interface and generally what the pro 'opensource' tuners user (although it is not really opensource). This will only run on windows.

Of course you still need a seperate piece of software to upload and download the ECU data and that is pretty much only 'ecuflash'. It does have an example of that running on MAC OS here: openecu.org • View topic - ECUflash on OSX [screenshot]
but I don't know the current state.

Al

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fleetwood, really appreciate your help. Looks a bit heavy TBH. Gonna go see Paul at SSS :)

Mike

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
I'm running ROMRaider via Parallels VM - works really well. Been struggling to find decent software to run natively on my MacBook.

Not tried ROMRaider Mac build but might give it a whirl though.

·
Registered
2004 Forester Sti 6 MT
721 Posts
I'm running ROMRaider via Parallels VM - works really well. Been struggling to find decent software to run natively on my MacBook.

Not tried ROMRaider Mac build but might give it a whirl though.
Yeah, I think that is the path most people are going down, running it in a VM as there don't seem to be alot of recent questions on the MAC build.
Have you tried the epifansoft software? I think it runs native in windows rather than Java, it is a fair bit quicker and the 3D graphing is way ahead. You can download a demo, might be worth a try in a VM.
Plus I hear you can download e****k maps with it (althought I have not tried this myself).

Al

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Sounds like it would be worth trying out.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My problem with VMs is RAM (I think). I have a 2.16 core2due 24" imac (last of the matte screened white ones), but only running with 1GB RAM. I have XP SP3 (home edition) installed onto Sun VirtualBox, works absolutely fine but I keep getting "virtual memory too low" balloons form the taskbar in Windows. Can only presume this is a RAM issue within the hardware... Provided I don't have CS4 and crappy Microsoft software running on OS, the VM runs fine. Overload the RAM and it's a sticky slow process.

I think I might go for a VM on the macbook as well which runs at 4MB RAM on a 2.26 with a leaner apps list, might run better...??

Mike

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Should do, I'm running 2gb on a two year old MacBook and never had a RAM issue (Win2k, XP and 7) so you should have no problems at all.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Quite full at the moment as I'm running a few VMs at the moment as I'm doing some testing work on multiple OS... probably have about 5gb left

1 - 10 of 10 Posts