Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before we had the dot com crash of 2005 here, there was a post about how to trick your ECU into giving up some more power. It was something like reset, put the car in second, and then drive away as hard an fast as possible... Does anyone remember that or can reserect the thread?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I remember Silke posted this and it was about like some Vishnu way of making the ECU learn faster. But i remember this mainly applied to turbo cars

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to try it in my X and see what happens. Heck if I can pick up a couple of ponies I'd be stoked!

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
The basic idea is to reset the ECU, and then force it to do it's re-learning very very quickly.

Reset the ECU = disconnect the battery, pump the brakes a few times, and wait a few minutes.

Then (and this is all "if memory serves", so run a quick search over on NASIOC for the specifics) turn on the car, let it idle for 10-15 minutes.. i think you are supposed to wait until the radiator fans switch on and off three times or something. Then turn off the car, and turn it back on again. Now go drive in a fashion similar to what you want the ECU to learn - want good economy? Keep it light on the go pedal and shift early. Want more power? Drive it like you stole it... etc etc.

I can't seem to find the thread on NASIOC myself, so i'm hoping y'all are better at searching than I.

and it DOES work on the N/A engine. At least it does on my '98.

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your help. I'll give it a try tonight. I know a long straight stretch of road to try it on.

BTW, does anyone remember anything about starting in second gear?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I don't offhand, but I can imagine it might be helpful because you get more time at WOT. That being said.. my SF is a 4EAT, so take it with a grain of salt.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
I really doubt you will get any power from reseting the ECU:wink:...at first it will seem a little faster but after it learns again you will go back to normal.

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sirwilliam said:
I really doubt you will get any power from reseting the ECU:wink:...at first it will seem a little faster but after it learns again you will go back to normal.
Nothing lasts forever and were all going to die... So why not give it a try...? :drive:

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
if nothing else, it's a good excuse to flirt with the rev limiter. (Like you need an excuse...) :drive:

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sirwilliam said:
^^corrected. You should dyno before and after and post the results.
If you know someone handing out free dyno time I'm all of it... :biggrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts