Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Art Director
2001 Forester S Automatic
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a CEL pop up about 6 weeks ago while running through a stream.
I thought that I had fried something.
I had it OBDII scanned and it reported a lean condition with the O2 sensor in the cat. not sure which one.

Well I had to work on wiring up a new H4 socket for a headlight and disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes.
The CEL went away.
I had previously tried to reset the CEL by disconnecting for like 5 minutes and it did nothing.

What is the rule of thumb with clearing out codes from the ECU ?

How much are official SUBARU scanner/logger/reset devices ?
Is it worth getting one or just an OBDII scanner ?

·
Administrator
14,751 Posts
I usually leave the battery disconnected overnight. I believe 30 mins will do the job (and maybe turn the ignition on or use the brakes to drain any residual current).

·
Art Director
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CEL after reset

I get a CEL after I reset the battery.
The CEL stays off for about 300-500 miles and then it's back.
I know that the O2 sensor mods will fix it, but I was thinking of doing some fuel mixture piggy back mod.
What is the wisest way to manage headers back exhaust on an NA engine.
My tailpipe is looking black as hell after a 750 mile trip, for example.
I have mad racecar style backfiring with every downshift that the ECU makes.
Cool, but is it OK for the long run?

This condition all started with the Stromung high flow cat.

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Sounds like a PO420 to me. Get the CEL fix and should be fine.

To reset the ECU, just disconect the negative battery terminal, stand on the brake, and try and start the thing a couple of times. Get out reconect the battery cable and your golden...

FIXED...

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
You got it. It's just another way to try and drain all curent out of the system. Just like turning the key to start the vehicle...

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
The Wraith said:
To reset the ECU, just disconect the negative battery terminal, stand on the brake, and try and start the thing a couple of times. Get out reconect the brake cable and your golden...
i believe he meant battery cable ;)

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
MY00Forest said:
i believe he meant battery cable ;)
:sorry: It's hard to type while hitting the bong...

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
haha, sounds like you need a hands free hitter

·
Art Director
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
apexi

apexi fuel mixture piggyback.

Has anybody run one of these management systems on their NA subie ?
Or is just bling bling that doesn't do much.

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Go for an SAFC or SAFC2 if your looking to do that stuff. Just make sure someone who knows a thing or two programs it for you...

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
The install is relativly easy, it's the programing (finding a map) that is dificult.

·
Art Director
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PEP vs. Extender

What is the BEST method for fixing a CEL ?

"PEP Check engine light eliminator for 99-up 2.5 liter models. Run that High-flow or cat-less pipe without getting the dreaded "check engine" light caused by your rear O2 sensor. PEP™ MIL Eliminators or Malfunction Indicator Light Eliminators, are electronic modules that prevent the "Check Engine" light from coming on when an off-road exhaust pipe is installed on a late-model vehicle with OBD-II emissions systems. If an Off-road cat-less pipe is installed on the vehicle without MIL Eliminators, the "Check Engine" will always be on, and the driver won't have the opportunity of being alerted if something more serious is wrong with the vehicle. MIL Eliminators install (Splice In) between the O2 sensor connector and 02 sensor on the REAR O2 SENSOR of your vehicle. Installation takes about 30 minutes with basic hand tools."

OR...

"...They were using 2 18mm spark plug Non-Foulers, drilling out a 1/2 inch hole in one (for the tip of the O2 sensor to fit, and leaving the other as normal. This creates a small chamber for the o2 sensor to get a lower reading than it would sitting right in the pipe. It sounded pretty universal.....There is pleny of space and still 1" gap between the top of the o2 sensor(where wires come out) to the chasis of the car. Cost is $4.95 at your local pepboys location. Non Fouler part 42002(alluminum)."

P

·
0 Posts
Our ecu data monitors in addition to reading engine data e.g. boost etc.. will also reset the ecu and pull fault codes.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,687 Posts
Look at rallitek.com and check out the perfect power piggyback ECU (PP6). Controls fueling and timing. I've read good reviews on rs25.com and nasioc from people with these on their n/a subies. Thinking of getting everything tuned with this summer after I get my stromung hfc and midpipe on.

·
Art Director
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Many questions

You weren't OT. It's cool.
I figure I should do one of the O2 sensor mods to clear the CEL first and then get the right management hardware/software for my mild NA build-up.

I want to squeeze out as much power as possible without sacrificing ANY reliability. I would also like to be able to tune for a better power curve.
Over the next year, I'm planning on getting an OBD2 data display / air-fuel mixture controller mounted in the center gauge pod on my 2001 S.\I have been waiting a long time to go to this next phase of NA build up and would love some experience and wisdom about money wisely spent to put maybe another $1000-$2500 into the NA build-up.

I don't buy into hype much anymore, so,
I really need to hear some first hand experience with these systems.
I guess I'll go hunt around the Impreza RS 2.5 forums...
Please chime in about how best to tune or mod for my exhaust setup.
Doesn't Stromung have a product specifically for mounting the O2 sensor ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts