Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
MY05 FXT 5MT
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last couple months I've been getting a strange beeping noise in my 05 XT. At first i thought maybe someone left their phone in my car, and it's beeping because the batteries are dying. My wife thinks it's the radio.
Now i'm almost entirely convinced it's the ECU. Anyone else ever have this issue, or know of something similar?

·
Registered
2005 XT
15 Posts
I have just purchased on 05 XT and have also been hearing a soft beeping noise which I can't pinpoint. the doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. Seems pretty random. Chimes for a few seconds then stops. Any ideas?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
The only "ECU" noise I hear is a computer hard-drive like sound coming from somewhere in the engine bay when the engine is off, but the key is in the "on" position.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Forester manual
2 Posts
Any outcome ?

I have the same issue on my Forester my2007. Has there been a resolution for the OP?
It happens sometimes, not everytime, when I'm driving slowly, and it scares me :( - it sounds like a mobile phone beeping. It's not the seatbelt reminder, that sounds differently. It's more of a computer / phone noise.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Forester manual
2 Posts
thought I'll update this after speaking to the dealership (Bill Buckle in Brookvale/Sydney): they advised that this can happen when I have a bag or something on the passenger seat - apparently there are some kind of sensors in the seat that trigger the 'no seatbelt' warning beep, even if it's something as light as a bag. Not sure why this doesn't get triggered constantly, maybe I had just done the weekly shopping or something and the bag was heavier than normal. I'll keep an eye on this!

·
Registered
10 XT 4EAT
893 Posts
thought I'll update this after speaking to the dealership (Bill Buckle in Brookvale/Sydney): they advised that this can happen when I have a bag or something on the passenger seat - apparently there are some kind of sensors in the seat that trigger the 'no seatbelt' warning beep, even if it's something as light as a bag. Not sure why this doesn't get triggered constantly, maybe I had just done the weekly shopping or something and the bag was heavier than normal. I'll keep an eye on this!
Oh yeah, thats happend to me before. The passenger seat has pressure sensors to determine whether to enable the passenger air bag. It also uses these sensors to monitor the passenger seatbelt so that the seatbelt chime isn't constantly going off.

When I was moving early last year, I had a bunch of stuff in the front seat and it was enough to trigger the passenger seatbelt warning, but not enough to activate the passenger air bag. Basically the car thought a kid was in the passenger seat without his seatbelt on, so I had to pull over and plug the seatbelt in or listen to it chime for the entire trip.

I have sense used the seatbelt trick to disable the seatbelt warnings after the initial seatbelt chimes on startup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.