Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester/XT/Sports
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this is the beginning of the car modding and I was told that I should start a Journal thread to document the changes to the car.

The over all plan for the car is a streetable car that handles really well, is moderately faster than stock, can haul the family, kayaks and mountain bikes.

This is the car at the dealership in Utah the day I bought it.

This how it looks now except the new STi Hood Scoop:

To date I have added:
The Green Panel Air Filter
Thule 440 Roof Rack System
Curt 1 1/4" Hitch
Prodrive Axle Back Exhaust
Window Tint
Swift Springs
Perrin Rear Sway bar Kit w/Stout Mounts
Kartboy end links
Mann Engineering sway bar link supports
ASA 18x8 Rims w/Potenza 225/45R18 Tires
STi JDM Hood Scoop
Polyurethane Bushings
Kartboy rear subframe lockdown bolts
Cobb Access Port Stage 1
STi Pedal Kit

STi TMIC waiting to installed.
This was my last "I'm going to leave it pretty much stock" project:

That I picked up looking like this 2 years previously:

More to follow...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,757 Posts
Very nice start to your Member Journal! :cool:

As to your future MODs. I'm not a fan of a rear spoiler, but I have to admit they do add to the overall look of the Forester, so I'd recommend adding one to your list. You can view my installation here. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
41,757 Posts
...are you sure thats an 06? Only the 07/08 got that front bumper unless its an 06 limited with the sport bumper/grill added to it.
Looks like an 07 to me. Congrats!
I thought I saw him post elsewhere that it's an 07.
It says '07 in his Public Profile. I sent the OP a PM on how to get that corrected, since we can't edit the title on the first thread post. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2007 Forester/XT/Sports
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It says '07 in his Public Profile. I sent the OP a PM on how to get that corrected, since we can't edit the title on the first thread post. :wink:

Bobby...

Yup... I'm an idiot. I did get the PM and replied. Thanks for the contact info on who can fix it. I saw it as soon as I posted it and knew I could not fix it myself. Oh well. Just not as smart as I wish I was sometimes.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
2007 Forester/XT/Sports
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pics of Kayak Rigging

The Thule 440 rack is installed and I came up with a way to tie down the front of the kayaks without damaging the paint with the lines. I also installed the Curt hitch with the help of some child labor (my son).

These are nylon straps that can be folded down when not in use for the boats.

·
Registered
2007 Forester/XT/Sports
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I could use a bit of help. I am towards the tail end of my deployment to Afghan and would like to start to order some parts for the car. My limitation is time allowed on the computer. We are pretty remote as far as locations go here and the computers are on the slow side, few, and have a 30 minute time limit so that all of the guys can get a chance to get on once in a while.

I am doing searchs as fast as I have time to but am running into a wall for the Prodrive axle back w/oval tip exhaust that I have settled on. Can anyone suggest a vendor to purchase this kit from please? Used is even better but I don't mind buying it new either.

Also on the look out for 22mm rear sway bar and end links/brackets.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
2007 Forester/XT/Sports
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

She is starting to look and sound pretty good. Just had the JDM STi scoop painted for $75 and put it on with the stock splitter and TMIC. I have an STi TMIC in the garage to install. It has some damage to the core but does not see to have any cracks or leaks. Waiting on the BPV gaskets and then it goes on also.

Also took a pic of the Bug Deflector that I cut down to work with the hood scoop. Kind of unique looking and definetely serves the purpose.

·
Administrator
41,757 Posts
Very nice! I like how your modded XT hood protector turned out. :cool:

Did you have the measurements on how much plastic you removed? In addition, what tool did you use to cut the plastic? :confused:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2007 Forester/XT/Sports
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks.

I took the hood guard off and completely taped it off with blue painters tape 2 layers thick. Then I measured the hood center bump and centered those marks on the blue taped guard. The blue tape serves to keep the saw from scratching the plastic and also as a drawing surface to make the cut lines.

I used my Dewalt Jig Saw with a countertop laminate blade and cut down to the point that the guard stayed parallel to the hood lines to keep it out of the path of air flow. The transition curves were freehanded and then wet sanded smooth with 220 grit sand paper.

It is not perfect but unless you really look closely at it you cannot tell it is not a factory piece.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts