Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a set of the Redstuff ceramics and noticed that they did not come with anti-squeel backing plates. As I looked over the instructions, I noticed on the box (which strangely is a greenstuff box with the proper redstuff part nos. on a sticker) that it says not to reuse the stock plates as it will be too thick and cause drag.

Anyone out there with redstuuff ceramics get new shims with theirs?

Thanks.

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
i just installed mine about 2 weeks ago and just reused the old squeal tabs and plates. everything fit just fine and no drag
lots of grab on my redstuffs, i love em

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. Of course I checked out your install page Peaty! It's part of a ritual for me before I get my hands dirty. Unfortunately, you have four pots so whether I use the backing shims or not may differ.

I'll need to call EBC or someone come Monday. Just thought i'd snoop around over the weekend. The fact that they came in a Greenstuff box got me a thinking.

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
the box that mine came in had green stuffs pictured as well. as long as whats inside is red then all is good
do your's say redstuff's or green stuffs on the box?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At first I thought it was a generic box for all EBC pads but after looking closer, it is indeed for Greenstuff. The part no. sticker on the side references the correct Redstuff part nos. and the pads themselves appear to be the right ones.

It's just the conflicting instructions on the BOX that has me thinking. The instructions IN the box make no reference to the shims. really!?

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
I have EBC Greenstuff and remember the instruction also said not to reuse the stock shims. I reuse the shims anyways and applied some anti-squeel grease on the backing plate of the pads. No brake drag at all.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot everyone. Well, obviously both ways are O.K. 'cause Subiegal just said that the Redstuffs come with a plate built in and she does not reuse the stock shim so ...

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for your words of assurance! :D It's nice to have SF.org back up. NASIOC is a great source of imformation but I always feel the need to be extra careful in how I word my question lest I get no response or a serious flaming. It's all good though. I realize some people over there live to be a-holes. :roll:

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just a heads up for any of you thinking of buying these pads- I got my first set through Race Pages. In addition to being in a Greenstuff box, they did not come with new anti-squeel shims. It says not to re-use the stockers and even Subiegal said not to.
They are SUPPOSED to come with their own new shims.

Well I looked at mine and don't see any shims, built in or loose in the box. Called EBC direct and it turns out, which I was aware of, that there are lots of old sets floating around still. The correct EBC Redstuff ceramics are as follows.

front- DP31661C

Rear- DP31687C

The most important part being under the "Made in U.K." on the label=

E388

These are the latest with the rust colored break-in coating. Not saying the old ones won't work but after all the BAD reports about EBC Redstuffs pads in general (non-ceramic) I thought I would offer up this info.

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
that is very good to know, now i wish i hadn't thrown out the box when i was done. stupid :x

·
Registered
Frank & the FXT
172 Posts
just curious.....why did you all go w/the redstuff & not the greenstuff pads?

I've used the green stuff pads on my Impreza for years, even tracked it a few times. There was plenty of brakes the entire time on track, never any fade. I thought the redstuffs had low cold pad bite and were more for track day applications.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Scoobyslack said:

I've used the green stuff pads on my Impreza for years, even tracked it a few times. There was plenty of brakes the entire time on track, never any fade. I thought the redstuffs had low cold pad bite and were more for track day applications.
Define years. IIRC EBC changed the formula of all their pads only two or so years ago. EBC states their green pads are OE replacements. Between that comment and the numerous comments on Nasioc about people destroying their greens in a day at the track really doesn't inspire confidence in them as a dual use track/street setup. I'm just took my reds off due to a BBK kit upgrade but I never experienced any low pad bite when cold. People do complain that the reds at all temps don't seem to bite as hard at intial brake engagement versus other brands. But that has never bothered me as they do have much more stopping power then stock pads.

·
Registered
Frank & the FXT
172 Posts
I've used them on my Impreza since late 01.....so 4+ years.

So the redstuff is now what the greenstuff used to be. As far as some of those people that killed pads in one day, I don't know how the hell they do that. I've got lots of autoXs and several track days on mine, but my car is sub 2700lbs. 8)

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scoobyslack said:
As far as some of those people that killed pads in one day, I don't know how the hell they do that. I've got lots of autoXs and several track days on mine, but my car is sub 2700lbs. 8)
Probably not in an Auto-X but on a track day where speeds are much higher and hence braking is much harder, you need to run track only pads that can handle the higher temps. Redstuffs are made for light track duty and street. Racing is a whole different ballgame.

·
Registered
Frank & the FXT
172 Posts
yes, I'm quite aware of that.

I've used the same set of pads for 12+ autoXs, 2 track days and several thousand miles of 'normal' driving. The track days had alot of 100mph + hard braking and my pads did not get even 1/2 used up.
I figured it was due to the heavy *ss cars they were driving, but they should last longer.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Scoobyslack said:

I got my set for real cheap when subiegal first started using/selling the pads...the price has unfortunately almost doubled now but after putting the pads on and experiencing them first hand, I will be able to determine if I would buy them again. I was also thinking of going w/ the green stuff but the red stuff has a better wear rating and some of the people I have talked to liked them so far. My friend who does autox substantially and who sold me his RacingBrake rotors said that the EBC pads are a cheap pad that is why a lot of people use them. He said w/ the red pads to watch out for them wearing down your rotors...I will try them out and see.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Tanj! said:
EBC states their green pads are OE replacements.
Please point me to EBC's website that states this because I do not see it. I believe you meant to say the Ultimax which are OEM equivalent.

On another note...

For color comparison:

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html

EBC Website; Good chart to decide which pad fits your needs.

Red Stuff

Since this material was introduced in late 2003, it has received many positive write ups from performance drivers of faster cars such as the Impreza. You can read some of these write ups and comparisons to other performance materials on www.scoobynet.co.uk and www.subiegal.com. This is a truly impressive fast road pad for repeated heavy braking. It emits far less dust than semi-metallic pads and has been proven to stop a saloon car 13 metres quicker than OEM pads from 100mph/160kph.

Features EBC Brake-InTM surface coating which conditions rotor surface and accelerates pad bed-in.

Average friction coefficient 0.5

Green Stuff

Fast/Heavy Street Use
Brake well from cold
Effective to above 650°C
Lower dust formula* (read below)

Designed for premium street driving offering better brake effect at loads and speed. EBC Greenstuff has a high initial brake effect and gives drivers confidence from first application of the brake pedal. There is no such thing as a NO DUST pad. The very nature of how a brake works requires that some dust be generated to avoid rotor vibration (shimmying). The EBC pad creates less dust and dust is more easily washed off than most. All pads create more dust as they are bedding in especially if rotors are worn.

Average friction coefficient 0.55
Red, Green, Black, dah dah dah...there is a pad for all uses. I have too many steep hills to descend in the cold early morning and I feel more confident with the Green Stuff. The Green Stuff is far better than OEM from my experience and stops on the dime everytime. Tires are a factor too :wink:

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
Just a heads up for any of you thinking of buying these pads- I got my first set through Race Pages. In addition to being in a Greenstuff box, they did not come with new anti-squeel shims. It says not to re-use the stockers and even Subiegal said not to.
They are SUPPOSED to come with their own new shims.

Well I looked at mine and don't see any shims, built in or loose in the box. Called EBC direct and it turns out, which I was aware of, that there are lots of old sets floating around still. The correct EBC Redstuff ceramics are as follows.

front- DP31661C

Rear- DP31687C

The most important part being under the "Made in U.K." on the label=
AF44-78! These are the latest with the rust colored break-in coating. Not saying the old ones won't work but after all the BAD reports about EBC Redstuffs pads in general (non-ceramic) I thought I would offer up ththis info.
Just double checked mine this morning and yes those numbers are the correct ones...and yes, mine had the shims :D Thanks for posting those numbers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts