Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading this entire forum, I am unsure what to buy... RED or GREEN Stuff pads? Front AND rear worth it or just Front and OEM or other aftermarket rear?

can anyone comment on both RED and GREEN and which ones they like better and why?

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
If you don't track your car, the EBC Greens are my bet. The Greenstuff has better initial bite.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html

EBC Website; Good chart to decide which pad fits your needs.

Red Stuff

Since this material was introduced in late 2003, it has received many positive write ups from performance drivers of faster cars such as the Impreza. You can read some of these write ups and comparisons to other performance materials on www.scoobynet.co.uk and www.subiegal.com. This is a truly impressive fast road pad for repeated heavy braking. It emits far less dust than semi-metallic pads and has been proven to stop a saloon car 13 metres quicker than OEM pads from 100mph/160kph.

Features EBC Brake-InTM surface coating which conditions rotor surface and accelerates pad bed-in.

Average friction coefficient 0.5

Green Stuff

Fast/Heavy Street Use
Brake well from cold
Effective to above 650°C
Lower dust formula* (read below)

Designed for premium street driving offering better brake effect at loads and speed. EBC Greenstuff has a high initial brake effect and gives drivers confidence from first application of the brake pedal. There is no such thing as a NO DUST pad. The very nature of how a brake works requires that some dust be generated to avoid rotor vibration (shimmying). The EBC pad creates less dust and dust is more easily washed off than most. All pads create more dust as they are bedding in especially if rotors are worn.

Average friction coefficient 0.55

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
You can use both pads for street use but red pads are made for the track as welll. I heard the red pads are a little harder on the rotors than the green but have less fade, better stopping grip, and last longer due to a slightly harder compound.

I have a set of EBC reds that will hopefully be going on my XT this week w/ new rotors...

·
Registered
2004 XT
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
green vs red

THANKS! I think i will go for the green. there has been no tracking this XT and probably never will.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
04 XT Auto
298 Posts
pjman said:
Front AND rear worth it or just Front and OEM or other aftermarket rear?
Do front and rear. The last thing you want is the rear to have more, or less, effective braking than the fronts.

If you lock the rears, overall braking effectivness is reduced, and you may end up with the rear sliding around under braking. If rear braking is not enough, then you end up pushing the front, which can lead to wandering around under braking.

Rob.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Both are great but...

Red's will give you MUCH better bite WHEN WARMED UP.
Had the Green's on wifey's old Audi A4 and they were darn good for everyday driving. I have the Red's on my Bimmer (which I drive with "gusto") and when they are warmed up they totally overwhelm the tires and give the ABS a solid workout :D :D

·
Registered
04 XT Auto
298 Posts
philbytx said:
Red's will give you MUCH better bite WHEN WARMED UP.
True, but waiting for them to warm up while your bearing down on something in front of you is the kind of excitement that I, for one, don't want to experience again.

Some pads that need warming up will drop 'below' temperature on a short trip on a freeway, which can make any emergency situations a bit tricky.

Rob.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,251 Posts
soobdo said:
True, but waiting for them to warm up while your bearing down on something in front of you is the kind of excitement that I, for one, don't want to experience again.

Some pads that need warming up will drop 'below' temperature on a short trip on a freeway, which can make any emergency situations a bit tricky.

Rob.
I have reds and this is not an issue. But, they are not the best pad for light use. You need to work them hard to appreciate their performance potential.

·
Registered
2004 Forester SX
244 Posts
I have Reds on mine - with my very "normal" driving, I never get them warmed up enough to realize the improved bite. On the other hand, I never worry about fade.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,278 Posts
SuperRu said:
I have reds and this is not an issue. But, they are not the best pad for light use. You need to work them hard to appreciate their performance potential.
How is the condition of your rotors? Any signs of premature/rapid worn from the pads?

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
DonutKing said:
Neither in my opinon get hawks
Personally, I'd go with Carbotech Bobcats. I like the low dusting feature, and the way they brought Subed down from 60+ to almost 0 in a second or two...as I was stopping for the CHP officer after passing on a double solid yellow. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Greens are too feeble for a 250hp+ 1400kg vehicle.

Ceramic Reds if you must, though feedback from users over here has been variable ....

DS2500's as a preference, though I'm running my 'feeble' pattern nissan 300zx pads ( $45 a pair - they use the same caliper as the Mitsu3000GT & 4 pot subaru ) at the moment until I make the final decision between them and pagid blacks...

Steve

·
Registered
2004 XT
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, thanks for the info. i bought the greens cuz i live in MA and we tend to have much colder temps than most of you in sunny CA (man im jealous!)

i will be sure to post my review after a week or two of riggerous testing!

·
Registered
2004 XT
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im Green

So, I replaced the worn OEM pads (60K mi) with EBC greens on saturday. first impression is that they do bite great cold! I like them so far! The only issue i had, I caused. I broke the rotor free and some rust must have fallen behind because I got a bit of vibration on hard stops. I pulled it back apart yesterday and cleaned it out real well with a flat head screwdriver and a wire brush and im good.

thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
07 FXT Sports 5MT
360 Posts
i'd recommend the redstuff ceramics over the greens anyday

they are good in the cold
great as they warm up
less dust
less rotor deposit (warpage)
less noise

still a great value.