Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes are crap. Is it worth me shelling out £73ish on some green stuff pads or spend the money on discs. One or the other, can't do both, money's tight, and she'll kill me if i do. :yell:

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,570 Posts
I don't think EBC are the best pads you can get. I have Pagid RS 4-2-1 black as in my previous WRX and I have been happy with them even at the Ring (saying that the Ring isn't very demanding on brakes).
Mintex 1144 or 1155 are also very good pads, had a set in my previous 205.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Check out brakeparts.co.uk.... You may find you can do both - pad compound does make a difference but best efficiency is with new pads and discs.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Ps I have RedStuff pads on mine and I'm very happy with them.

A

·
0 Posts
I run std pads in mine, I find performance pads a no brainer as the £15 pull up just fine..

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Sorry, disagree with you R5OSS. On the road, grooved pads do little more than eat your pads faster and as far a drilled ones go, if you're generating enough heat to need the cooling, you're driving like a hooligan and probably shouldn't be on the road.

I've shelled out on all the fancy braking kit in the past and to be honest, a reasonable set of pads and discs is plenty good enough on the road. Going for new discs and pads, even if they're not the highest spec means you can bed them in together properly which will aid efficiency.

NDS, YellowStuffs are great but MDG doesn't have a 300bhp STI... not sure if an NA can generate enough heat to make them work properly!!! ;o)

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
I have yellow stuff pads on WRX OEM discs (albeit with WRX calipers) and I can assure you that this set-up is more than you will ever need. I cant comment on what the pads would be like on standard forester set up so this post is probably irrelevant.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't suppose drums on the rears help much but they just don't seem to have any real bite. Braking hard from high speed to stop is sometimes frightening as i can feel them fading quickly. Are these Hawk HPS pads any better? If i need to replace the discs, they'll be bog standard and nothing expensive.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Ben / NDS, how do you find the YellowStuff from cold? Reds are good but I do find that they work better with some heat in them.

MDG, just had a quick check on Car Brakes ? Brake Parts for Cars for you and they can do a full set of discs and pads for c£60 + VAT. Unless you plan on driving it like you stole it, I reckon new pads and discs together will give the best gain for normal road use in a NA SF... uprated pads on tired discs would be a waste of cash in my book.

Also, would be worth changing your brake fluid while you're at it especially if it's not been done for a couple of years... you could also go for DOT5.1 fluid. Won't really improve braking but it can improve pedal feel a bit.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Ben / NDS, how do you find the YellowStuff from cold? Reds are good but I do find that they work better with some heat in them.
Never noticed a difference when cold...but I am very light on brakes anyways, except for the occasional deliberate planned usage. And no I don't notice any extra brake dust either.

I don't suppose drums on the rears help much but they just don't seem to have any real bite.
Ok you have drums..?? Aren't they like sooooooooo like whatever outdated and like **** innit like....?

Summary
He has drums. Bailing out of thread.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers Gigsy. Had a look at those earlier. Pads say recommended for fast road so might do the job. Pads I'm running at the mo are Ferodo(spelling)cheapies with boggo discs which, on looking through my service records, were changed together 18K miles ago. Brake fluid on the rears was changed/bled when i fitted the SG struts 10K miles ago. Can't remember if I've ever changed/bled the fronts.

NDS...What can i say? I bought the Foz before i knew anything about them. I gotta work with what i got.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
No worries, I put a set on my previous WRX from there and they were fine - delivered next day too.

Technically, we all have drums at the rear even if we're running 360bhp (though, the drums do only do the handbrake on the XT and STi... you do have 10 gears though with the low range box, compared to NDS' mere 6 so at least you trump him on that one! :biggrin::N_poke:

If the discs were only done 18k ago, they should be fine so may free a bit of cash for pads, but TBH, new pads, properly bedded in should show some improvement. Brake fluid for fronts and rears come from the same reservoir so sounds like it's reasonably fresh... no harm in changing it though.

NDS, interesting re the YellowStuff pads... might have to give those a try once I finish off the Redstuff pads.

·
Administrator
15,770 Posts
"EBC Green Stuff. Worth it?"

No. I've had red & green but now swapped to Lucas TRW pads which I consider to be just as good for a lot less hard-earned.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
NDS...What can i say? I bought the Foz before i knew anything about them. I gotta work with what i got.
You know I love you really you steamin' Galaa.

Anyways, if you change the discs tis best practice to do the pads at the same time so they bed in together. So just do the pads....on the front. Front does 75% of the braking anyways.*

* statistics may be made up or not technically accurate

·
Registered
214 Posts
in general terms (talking about road use cars), its the pad that does the work so spend your budget here rather than on fancy discs, far better to have std type discs and a good quality pad than vice-versa.

as for the good old "quick-fit" style quote of fitting new pads with new discs then again as a general rule its tosh and little more than a sales exercise for you to spend more money with them......most high performance manufacturers will recomend bedding new pads with used discs or vice-versa due to them generally needing different treatment during the 'bedding'....pretty much only Performance Friction components (which carry out extensive factory heat treatment) suggest bedding both together, as the short, sharp, shock bedding required for most hi-performance/competition pads can dramatically effect new discs (which are normally better put thro' 100miles+ of reasonable use initially)

having dealt with and used various manufacturers over the years i find E*C stuff lacking slightly in that whilst some of their compounds do perform reasonably well at temperature its normally at the detriment of life and also they can be very "numb" when cold - something like Pagid Rs4.2.1 or Ferodo ds2500 is far better "value for money" even though they have a higher initial purchase cost

alyn

·
Registered
214 Posts
just to add that the caveat of using old discs is that they are in good condition with no damage, wear lines, etc........as this damage will simply transfer to the new pads....

also take note of the specific bedding instructions from the manufacturer you are using (rather than grab some of an internet site that someone else used) as whilst some are similiar if you use a 'competition' technique on std pads your going to be looking for some new ones very soon LOL

alyn

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
Don't go for EBC Green stuff, the car is too heavy for them. For your N/A I'd stick with OEM.

The alternative is to get a set of Godspeed discs and pads. I got a set for mine (277mm grooved discs and kevlar pads) for £99 and I'm really impressed. Give Ian a call on 01656 723060 [email protected]

Mark

1 - 20 of 43 Posts