Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I've been commenting about my newest purchase in other threads a lot lately so I thought I'd share my experiences with this exhaust so far.

I ordered it from Ebay late on a Sunday night. The following Wednesday I came home to see a GIANT box on my doorstep. Pretty fast! Following day I decide to tackle an uppipe install (tons of fun) and switch out the exhaust from the SPT catback I'd been running for almost a year. I used some NAPA XL hangers in the rear that let the tip sit far enough away so I don't melt the bumper. I've snapped a few pics and took a quick little vid. Hopefully I'll be able to convince my darling wife to take a drive by vid this weekend! Overall I had a great experience with the supplier. I love the sound. Absolutely NO DRONE at highway speeds, it idles quieter than the SPT, but at WOT it screams. LOVE IT. :Banane08:

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and I am planning on modifying the axle back so it doesn't hang so low and extend it so the tip sits out a little further. I'm also going to paint it all with VHT semi-gloss black and leave the tip polished.

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, just the two that hang off the muffler. I didn't use a hanger on the third one that's attached to the axle back section. On the midpipe I have a standard kartboy hanger attached.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
109 Posts
Oh and I am planning on modifying the axle back so it doesn't hang so low and extend it so the tip sits out a little further. I'm also going to paint it all with VHT semi-gloss black and leave the tip polished.
That sounds awesome! Nice ride.

How good was the fitment and ease of the install?
And how are you going to modify the axel back to hang higher?
Lastly, I went to look up the exhaust on ebay and couldn't find it. Could you post a link to the store you bought from?

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't access ebay at work but just type in "sti v2 exhaust" and it should show up. Fitment and ease of install was great. I'm thinking of modifying the axle back so it doesn't drop towards the ground after the flange so the bend isn't so radical and adjust the hangers on the muffler so I can use the kartboy hangers I have lying around.

For the $$$ you can't go wrong with this exhaust. It's $115 with like $80 for shipping. I know others don't like the thought of a Cobb knockoff but so far I really, really like it!

·
Registered
04 STi and Fxt
169 Posts
I just purchased this recently as well. Fit and finish were pretty good, however the driver side of the muffler hangs lower to the ground than the passenger side. I have posted pictures in my Member Journal of the exhaust and my temporary way of leveling the muffler. This exhaust looks great and sounds even better. Not loud at all, no drone, but under WOT it means business.

If you cannot find it on ebay, JNA performance sells the exact same one.
02-07 WRX/STI & 04-08 Forester FXT High Performance Stainless Steel Catback

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
3" is not recommended. 2.25" is about the max. But yes it can be made to fit. The midpipe to cat flange needs to be rotated and extended about 2".

·
Registered
04 FXT, hopefully
66 Posts
I just picked up this exhaust last week and it was a pain to make fit with my hitch. Otherwise I love it. Exhaust note is good(would have like it to be a little louder but its great still). I will be removing it to paint it all black when I get a chance as it sits kinda low and sticks out(this is due to the hitch).

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
It sounds very similar to my Prodrive ABE. Maybe a little louder. I like it.

·
Registered
99 Forester S auto
56 Posts
i have this exhaust on my 05 FXT i love it and for the price you just cant beat it!! although i did add a stainless flex pipe section.

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a little trick I did to extend the tip to clear the bumper this past summer. I took the tip off the stock muffler and wedged it over the tip of the surewin muffler. I painted the axleback with VHT flat black paint and I love the new (stealthy) look.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 5 speed
170 Posts
Take your old stock muffler and unbolt the slip on tip, slide it on the new exhaust . Drill a hole and screw it on.

I happened to upon this one when I went to upgrade my dads N/A forester with my old shiny tip. It wouldn't fit, my dad was like that should fit on the new exhaust, sure enough it did. :woohoo:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts