Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What's there to collect the oil inside? I know some companies have a plastic tube inside, guess i could do that, or shove some steel wool up in it.

·
Registered
2003 Cross Sports
824 Posts
I've seen these used down here. I think the can in empty so stuffing some steel wool inside would be a good idea. As long as they don't leak they should work just fine. OCC don't need to be expensive.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,576 Posts
They look exactly teh same in the pictures? Just a little curved piece of metal and a 90* one.
I was referring to ebay vs. a dedicated one like the perrin. I'm sure all the ones they sell are exactly the same, find the cheapest one.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
That silver one is the same one I have. I'm just trying to figure out a way to get some filter media inside.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,691 Posts
I bought my oil catch can on eBay. You can view my installation here. I liked it in my '03, so I decied my new to me '07 FSXT should have one. More than the cost, it's the size & how it easy it will be to fit into the engine compartment. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
Alot of people seem to say just some some steel wool in there with a pencil or something.
I've heard that too, but I'm afraid bits and pieces of the steel wool will get sucked back up into air intake, which could lead to all sorts of fun problems.

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,713 Posts
I've heard that too, but I'm afraid bits and pieces of the steel wool will get sucked back up into air intake, which could lead to all sorts of fun problems.
X2
Maybe we are being overly paranoid but I wouldn't put steel wool in one on my car. I'd rather fill it with something like fine stainless steel wire.

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm also using the same catch can from ebay. I attached it to the airbox holder and replaced the cheap hose with a better one.
Got mine today, can't say i was overly impressed, but definitely worth the $20 i paid for it lol. There are some metal shavings in it from the tapping and drilling, what's a good way to clean it? Also i'm going to stick it in some water and check if it's air-tight before installing it (and silicone caulk it if it's not).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts