Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited Only manual for me!
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All rightie, second post, and I'm already asking questions! It should be a simple one. I'm looking to get a stock catalytic converter back into the car, to get the noise level down. An online search yielded two cats that are a direct fit, one from Eastern and one from DEC (as shown here, for example: http://www.racepages.com/rp_custom/cc_basket.php?makeid=39&modelid=697&year=2002&catalog=catalytic_converter).

Both say they are for 98-02 Foresters, except those equipped for California emissions. Has anyone used them, and can recommend either brand, or compare vs. one ordered from a dealership (which I'm sure it's twice as expensive)?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, yeah, about the CA emissions part, I'm in Michigan, so I assume it's safe to assume that I don't need to worry about that, right?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
The CA emissions part is irrelevant for you; it's just that if you replace a cat in CA it has to be by an approved manufacturer & installer to legally ensure that it corresponds to the stock specs. Something like that...

·
Registered
2002 Forester L Automagical
314 Posts
has anyone dealt with those manufacturers? what is the price on a direct fit high flow cat?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SHOguy said:
has anyone dealt with those manufacturers? what is the price on a direct fit high flow cat?
Prices as listed on the URL in the first post are $256.83 for an Eastern cat and $350 for a DEC cat. Not a bad price, which is why I asked about them.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L Automagical
314 Posts
I got the eastern cat, and it fit pretty well. The CEL is FINALLY off and it runs well!!!!! I would say for the price it is worth it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump... one last time, before I spend the $$. Thanks for the info, SHOguy. I was thinking of going with Eastern since it's cheaper, and both it and the $350 DEC cat claim to be direct-fit replacements. And yes, The Wraith, I have the Strömung hi-flow cat right now. Too noisy when combined with the catback, and I don't want to mess with it anymore to get the CEL off.

After the little got-stuck-in-gear incident of a few weeks ago, I've decided to do the 120K servicing a little sooner (just hit 115K last week). While we're at it, I'll go back to a stock-type catalytic, put an aluminum skid plate, and have the two front axles replaced (just found out the CV boots are torn; looks like we found out very early).

Have a nice day!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been a while, and I haven't even been reading the forum lately. No time even to sleep, with graduation just 'round the corner stirring things up at work, a weekend youth retreat a couple of weeks ago, and a big Easter event on campus this past weekend (live Passion Play with 22 performances in English and 3 in Spanish; about 1,000 people went through the Spanish performances alone).

During the flurry of activity, I had a little grief when installing the drive axles. One of them was shaking like a leaf, especially when turning, but after an alignment, it was the same. Turned out to be a defective axle, so I was carless for the weekend of the retreat (thank God for an awesome friend who picked me up and then lent me her car to return for a family reunion Friday night!).

Anyhoo, the Eastern catalytic is now on, and for anyone interested, three related pics are attached. With the cat and previously-installed resonator, it is quiet enough for me, even at high speeds and during spirited acceleration. The cat did fit well; however, after installing it, there was a whole lot of noise. Since the mechanic installing it didn't have welding equipment, I took it to a muffler shop, only to find out there is a third hole, completely useless, which needed to be welded shut.

Oh, and the CEL went off a couple of times, but came right back on, and it's been on for a couple of weeks now. I'll ignore it for now... but really wish it would go away. Anyway, back to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm curious whether your Eastern replacement catalytic converter Assy ever fixed your P0420 code? I've had this code intermittently. I turned it off early last year and it stayed off until today. I'm able to monitor the Aft-cat O2 sensor performance and as far as I can tell it is indeed tracking the primary O2 sensor voltage shifts, which is what sets code 0420. Hoever, it was doing the same when I turned it off in early '06, so I'm not sure what the Subaru 0420 criteria are.

When I monitor aft-cat O2 sensor on other vehicles (Acura TL, Acura CL both high mileage) I get a slowly varying voltage that generally stays high at a constant speed, much different from the Subaru Forester pattern.

I have an inexpensive Magnaflow catalytic converter that I bought for a Toyota and never installed. I instead used the O2 sensor fitting extension mechanical fix which worked perfectly to fool the monitor. It produces a aft-cat O2 sensor pattern very close to the Acura patterns, slowly varying w/ high voltage (~0.7 volts).

I'm tempted to simply install this fix for my Subaru. I have a suspicion that the Subaru aft-cat sensor location may produce a "too sensitive" output which causes a premature setting of P0420.

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm curious whether your Eastern replacement catalytic converter Assy ever fixed your P0420 code? I've had this code intermittently. I turned it off early last year and it stayed off until today. I'm able to monitor the Aft-cat O2 sensor performance and as far as I can tell it is indeed tracking the primary O2 sensor voltage shifts, which is what sets code 0420. However, it was doing the same when I turned it off in early '06, so I'm not sure what the Subaru 0420 criteria are.
Well, the CEL came back on almost immediately and it has been on ever since. I didn't even bother to check the codes yet... haven't had the time to look into it, nor has my brother, who usually helps me with car stuff, as he is a brand-new father. Sorry I can't give you more info; if/when I get around to it (by which time you may already have a solution), I'll let you know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts