Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester X/Limited Automatic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Forester Limited was totaled and I need to replace it with the same year and model (it's a long story). I have gone online to search and have found some low mile cars on the East Coast. I am wondering if they might have any problems with rust. I'm in Colorado and have never had rust problems with cars I have purchased here. I bought a Mini Cooper out of Wisconsin several years ago and it developed surface rust eventually. I usually keep my cars for a long time and would like to know if Subarus from the East or Midwest are worth investigating.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,512 Posts
Any place that uses salt on the roads that a car drives on will be exposed to that oxidizing effect.
That is true for the mountains in California as well as Wisconsin.
Obviously, colder places with more snow have a better chance of exposing a car to salt.
If the car gets the car gets the salt washed off, it really isn't an issue, but most people won't do that.
You could ask the question from the seller, about rust issues, and tell them any car you consider buying needs to be checked out... If they hang up, that probably wasn't a good choice, but if someone is willing to let you get the car checked out, damage from rust isn't hard to find.
Unless you can verify locations, (if service was recorded it may be available on Carfax) the Nevada car you look at could have spent winters in New York and be more rusty than the well cared for Wisconsin car.
I wouldn't rely on where a car is being sold as a positive indicator of anything, and any car going on 7 years old could have problems.

·
Registered
2004 Fxt mt, 2005 Fxt mt, 2005 fxt Mt project,2008 sports mt
24 Posts
Miles and age and care. They salt like maniacs in chicago, but I see 99s on the road still that look nice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My '07 Forester is an East Coast car and we used it as a work vehicle. It has some dents that developed into rust spots but after all these years on the road, the rust hasn't eaten through to the frame anywhere. Just look at everything really carefully, I'd say.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts