Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 5 MT
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been hashed over before, but I wanted to show a couple of installation photos.

The instructions that come with the device say to mount to the right of the rear-view mirror. Which to my mind is ugly.

I mounted mine up above the mirror where the painted black dots are. This makes it almost invisible from the outside and doesn't offend my sensibilities.

By the way, the black dots are paint and don't interfere with the transmitter's operation.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
That's where I always mounted them in the fleet I managed.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Touring CVT
826 Posts
I put mine just below the black dots to the right of the mirror, and I don't even see it when I'm sitting in the driver's seat. That is the most attractive spot for me!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,948 Posts
Kind of a no never mind. Two little strips. If you don't like that just pull it out and hold it by hand.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
I never mount mine. In the Forester, it goes in the center dash storage bin, and when I'm coming up to a toll I just hold it up.

Maybe if I had to deal with multiple tolls every day I'd bother actually attaching it.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
I have not played with mounting my transponder yet. In a previous car I had one mounted just beneath the underside of the dashboard and it works through plastic just fine (what can I say I like stuff like that hidden). I tried the same thing in another car and in that car it did not work beneath the dash. Turns out the dash in the car it did not work beneath had a steel core.
This spring while working on my car audio install I will be experimenting with completely hidden options in the Forester. I just like the hidden approach. Very clean, and the transponder battery usually lasts 5 years so there is really no reason not to hide it. :)

Nick

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
179 Posts
Are you able to request for a plate mounted one? I hate having things attached to my windshield. But, this only works when you are in a state that requires a front plate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
I have mine hidden behind the black dots as well. Works fine.

I had the plate mounted EZPass at one time. Took one idiot who backed into it while parallel parking to have killed it. They don't do well in NYC.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Mounting something in the black part of the windshield should not affect Eyesight, right?

I would imagine the black part of the windshield is outside Eyesight's view.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
235 Posts
Not sure if ez pass is the same, but in CA, if you have fastrak, you can register your license plate on their website, that way you can still go through the toll without the transponder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts