Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 648 Posts
Hi Paul - thanks for the info..
They fitted a piper cross filter for me although I've got an Sti panel filter coming so might change them over.

Have been toying with putting an Impreza Sti Intercooler on - had probs yesterday with the forester Sti intercooler as the VF39 has a different angle on the exit and the plastic y pipe wasn't flexible enough to fit on.
Looking out now to see what the US Sti uses and can adapt it for the Fsti one I have or get an Impreza one..

I haven't had much chance to play with it yet but it certainly pulls much stronger ! Will let you know how it goes..
Cheers
Pete

Anyone with a base 04 or 05 XT compared to just the AP Stage I? Curious if Cobbs numbers on their website is accurate for nothing more than Stage I

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Just got mine finished today after blowing out a gasket on Friday in between the header and the uppipe. This is with a FP green boosting to 18psi, tapering to 17 at redline. Apparently the AP and the Perrin boost solenoid (EBCS) simply would not let it boost more than that. Tune was by Jarrad at PDX (he flew down to Houston to tune). Interestingly enough, I have the full 18psi on the green anywhere in between 3200-3300rpm. And that's with a header. The top gear pull in 5th from 65mph is very strong.

I think the first post has my baseline dyno run so I got ~120whp with my combination. Anyone want to start a timer on how long it takes to blow out the tranny? PPG gears are next.

the head said:
Anyone want to start a timer on how long it takes to blow out the tranny? PPG gears are next.
I think it all depends on how you drive. I beleive Frank's gearbox is still stock an in one piece (knocking on wood). Congratulations on the good numbers. How much turbo lag do you have now? If you ever driven a stock 2.0 WRX can yu compare it with that?

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I've never driven a 2.0. If you punch it at 2000 rpm it isn't that great, but neither was the stocker. I'd say anywhere around 2800 rpm and up feels at least as quick as stock (of course pulling very strong up top).

pwebb said:
Hi there, ref your previous post - note that in the UK dyno figures/printout are 'at the crank' - with most dynos measuring a power loss figure - calculated on the run down after the power run* - the crank figures are usually some 20-25% higher than the power at the wheels figures for Subarus .
FWIW - the max power at the wheels on my fsti came out at 217KW - so you are doing equally well to get 211KW with just bolt-ons from the aussie EJ255 - a good mapper at work - plus that AVO turbo appears to give big power.

*IIRC Dyno dynamics rollers don't have this facility and can only work to manually inputted 'fixed' percentage power losses - which obviously isn't as 'accurate' and has to be estimated for each type of car - I think this is probably why most aussie figures are quoted in PAW - as that is the most accurate thing to measure - you must forgive us pommies for our eccentricities - like we still use BHP and lbft despite going metric in the 70s!
I assume that the DD rollers you use are set to shootout mode?

cheers,

Paul W
sorry 4 such a late reply, yes im very happy with the tuning done. the AVO is capable of up to about 260kw atw on 21 psi!! yes it was done in shootout made

the head said:
I've never driven a 2.0. If you punch it at 2000 rpm it isn't that great, but neither was the stocker. I'd say anywhere around 2800 rpm and up feels at least as quick as stock (of course pulling very strong up top).
just wondering where i can see your full mods list. i am only getting full boost @ 3700 rpm (in 4th with 6 speed 1:1 ratio) and can only run 16.5 psi as injectors are reaching 92% duty cycle. how many hp turbo is an fpgreen?

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Mods:
Perrin EBCS, pulley, turbo inlet
Stock modified inj (~810cc)
FP Green - 2.4", IWG
Cobb TBE w/ cat
Borla header (wrapped)
APS 65mm inlet and TMIC
TGV deletes (porting by Engine Logics)
PDX Protune on the AP

I'm not sure how much hp the Green is capable of. Nabisco has several posts about them in the Power Bragging section.

In 4th I get 19 psi by 3600 on the dyno. Probably quicker on the street with more load, as I dynoed on a dynojet.

I'll know more about the power the green is capable of on May 20th, when I get tuned with alky and a couple other mods. :). I'll even take some pics with my new camera. I'll get a scan of the dynosheet for this thread too.

As for my mods when dynoed (I made 335whp and 320 ft-lbs to the wheels at 19 psi).

Helix TMIC
FP Green
Perrin Inlet
Perrin BigMaf
Perrin Modded stock injectors
Helix DP/Up
Turbosmart External Gate
Mad dad midpipe
2.5 WRX Prodrive axleback.

Then next tune will include:
Alky
FAT 3 inch axleback
mystery mod :)

Frank

the head said:
Mods:
Perrin EBCS, pulley, turbo inlet
Stock modified inj (~810cc)
FP Green - 2.4", IWG
Cobb TBE w/ cat
Borla header (wrapped)
APS 65mm inlet and TMIC
TGV deletes (porting by Engine Logics)
PDX Protune on the AP

I'm not sure how much hp the Green is capable of. Nabisco has several posts about them in the Power Bragging section.

cheers for that but because im a dumb ozy you'll have to help me out... what is 2.4", IWG and TGV deletes. also, i have heard it is not safe to run more than 18 psi through the stock block and you were talking about aiming for 21 psi whichi'm all forif u know u wont be running a very high risk of blowing something?

oxymoron said:
cheers for that but because im a dumb ozy you'll have to help me out... what is 2.4", IWG and TGV deletes. also, i have heard it is not safe to run more than 18 psi through the stock block and you were talking about aiming for 21 psi whichi'm all forif u know u wont be running a very high risk of blowing something?
2.4 is the turbo inlet size... IWG is internal wastegate... his turbo is oil cooled as well... TGV are the tumble generator valves, they are on the bottom of the intake manifold (1 piece on each side of the engine w/ 2 valves per piece)... they have a butterfly valve which opens and shuts for emissions, but robs you of power... the deletes take out the butterfly and are usually ported for better flow...

you can run 25 psi on the XT block with the right tuning... ;) STis do it all the time and it's the same block, so as long as you do things right you will be okay...

Dynojet. 240 for a stock STI.

A WRX with
Hyperflow TMIC, Deadbolt 18G, 2006 WRX 560CC Injectors, Full Exhaust w/Header, K&N Short Ram, Walbro Fuel Pump, protuned by Riftswrx

put down 290hp and 257 ft-lbs on the same day for an idea.

Frank

Is "don't break it" a contingency plan? :) If it goes, I pull it and drop it off at Andrewtech which is about 15 miles from work and do the PPGs.

And then explain to the wife what the $5K missing from our account is for!

Frank

21 - 40 of 648 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.