Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FXT 5M
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the best section, but I figured i'd post my dyno results for any interested, and to see what others think of my graph and how I compare.

Car is an 08 XT with 65k miles (just had the 60k service down last month as well). Power mods include vf39 (purchased new), sti top mount, cobb catted downpipe, maddad whisper 3", cobb AP, and a grimmspeed ebcs. This was done on a mustang dyno at GST in hayward.

Car made 265hp/284tq. Overall i'm very satisfied, the car is much smoother, and pulls like a beast even more so, especially in the top gears. I'm probably done with any power mods for now as this is more than enough for a daily driven wagon.

And thanks to everyone on this site for being an invaluable resource!

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 FXT 5M
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya know, i'm not even sure, lol. I really need to install a boost gauge in the car. i'll plug in the AP later tonight and check

·
Registered
2009 2.5xt 6 Speed Swap version 8 6 speed sti trans with r180
4,150 Posts
Looks really similar to stock Sti whp numbers. I'd guess somewhere in the range a stock sti runs. Very nice though. I bet the smile on your face while you drive to work is worth a million bucks.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual 5sp.
1,662 Posts
Looks really similar to stock Sti whp numbers. I'd guess somewhere in the range a stock sti runs. Very nice though. I bet the smile on your face while you drive to work is worth a million bucks.
My tuner (also Mike at GST Motorsports in Hayward) said that most stock STI's (except for the 2006's) put down around 220whp on his Mustang Dyno. For some reasons 2006's were closer to 235whp.

In anyway, 265whp is a good solid amount of reliable power. :woohoo:

jeighty3, come out to the Wednesday night i-club meet in Milpitas tomorrow. There's usually a few of us Forester guys out there (at least me and Mason - white CrossSports front bumper).

Link to the meet: http://www.i-club.com/forums/meetin...-wed-night-va-jay-jay-statue-meet-9pm-190687/

·
Registered
2008 FXT 5M
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@superacerc i've had the vf39 on for a year now and i'm still smiling! lol

@Prettym1k3 i'll try to make it to one, not sure if i can do this wednesday.. i did notice that forester drive coming up on i-club, may attempt that

@Evasionoftruth this was a pro tune, previously i was using the cobb vf39 map

@kehler it really varies but scour the forums (here, nasioc, i-club, and it can be done reasonably cheap)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I'm curious what was the bottom line for these Mods?
VF39 - $250-350 - used - (I paid $300 for mine without any play in it)

STI TMIC w/ BPV - $250-350 - used - (I paid $300 for mine)

Downpipe - $100-$1299 - Yep. You read that right. Milltek is $1299 with a high-flow cat, whereas you can get a good used Invidia catless for $200, or a used catted Cobb for $400.

Exhaust - $150 - $750 - Used or new, you can find catbacks for cheap or expensive. WRX/STi cat-backs will work, but need extended hangers ($20) or need an exhaust shop to bend and weld on new hangers to fit your forester, and the tip may still be too short.

Cobb Access Port - $350 - $650 - New or used - - Depends if you want the V3 with the larger screen or not.

Boost Controller - $100 - New - My tuner (same as the OP said I didn't need one. I peak at 19.3psi in a full 5th gear pull and he said I was only at 70% capacity on the stock boost controller

Subaru boost pill/tubing/under-intercooler hose/random washers - $20 - New - Don't mess around with this stuff. Buy it new from Subaru.

Custom tune - $350-500 - don't mess around here. Find a reputable shop and make sure you trust them. Get references. Mike at GST comes highly recommended, as does any Cobb authorized shop. Ask around.

Notes: jeighty3 didn't need a catless uppipe, but '04 and '05 models do. '06-'08 don't. I bought a Grimmspeed catless up pipe. It had no bung for the exhaust temperature sensor, so keep that in mind that you may lose the ability to track EGT.

·
Registered
2004 FSTI dccd 6MT
574 Posts
I'd suggest 3-port ebcs off an older sti (mine came from my99 sti). It didn't need any modifications in the ecu. Just plug n play and get more precise wg control.
You can find them from ebay for about the same price as the restrictor pill setup.

·
Registered
2005 FXT 5-spd
278 Posts
Looks really similar to stock Sti whp numbers. I'd guess somewhere in the range a stock sti runs.
My tuner (also Mike at GST Motorsports in Hayward) said that most stock STI's (except for the 2006's) put down around 220whp on his Mustang Dyno. For some reasons 2006's were closer to 235whp.
Yeah I was going to say the same thing as m1k3. It seems like STi's are often around 220whp on most mustang dynos.

Great numbers OP! Do you have a before number running the Cobb map? That would be interesting. :Banane35:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
20psi is aggressive for a VF39 on 91 octane, what does the AP read?

Stan

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
I'm a little surprised your stock fuel system is able to reliably accommodate 20 psi.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Is this when they switched to the EJ 257? I think the original STI had the same exact internals as the '04 -'05 XT's. The 257 has slightly domed pistons that create a little more power.

3000th post! :rock:

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
I'm a little surprised your stock fuel system is able to reliably accommodate 20 psi.

Max fuel consumption is near the max power output, which usually occurs close to redline, where the VF is probably putting out maybe 15 psi. He could attemp to run even higher boost in the midrange and the fuel would still keep up.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Is this when they switched to the EJ 257? I think the original STI had the same exact internals as the '04 -'05 XT's. The 257 has slightly domed pistons that create a little more power.

That's a good question, actually. I'm not too sure!

20psi is aggressive for a VF39 on 91 octane, what does the AP read?

Stan
I've peaked at 20.1 on a very, very cold day. I'm usually around closer to 19psi on a warmer day. 19.1 is the highest I've ever hit on a hot day in a long 5th gear pull.

·
Registered
2005 FXT 5-spd
278 Posts

I can't say for sure on the 04, but the 05 STi was definitely an EJ257. I can't imagine why an 06 would make more power other than a better factory tune (which could totally be possible).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
842 Posts
Nice Numbers! Significantly better than what I've seen STi's dyno at.

I can't say for sure on the 04, but the 05 STi was definitely an EJ257. I can't imagine why an 06 would make more power other than a better factory tune (which could totally be possible).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Did they go to the VF43 (Or was it VF41?) in 06 or 07? I understand the differences are negligible from the VF39 but if that's one of the only changes then it could be part of it...

All the USDM STi's (through '15) have the lower compression ratio of 8.2:1 vs. 8.4:1 on the EJ255 but somewhere along there they added ACVS to both camshafts, I'm not sure of the year off the top of my head.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts