Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my dynamating process today, beginning with the front doors... I've never dynamated a car before, so this is solely my process of Dynamating.... Not necessarily the correct way, but I definitely hear Zero-Vibration/rattling from my front doors.... Will be planning on Dynamating the Rear Doors in a few weeks.

So here's what I'm starting with... Dynamat Xtreme door kit, along with the Dynamat Speaker kit...

First you're going to have to pull off the Door Panel... It's pretty simple to do. There's a screw behind the door knob, as well as one in the door handle, and underneath the silver trim that has the window switches. There's a PDF File here so I won't waste my time explaining it more

http://sumbiz03.home.comcast.net/~sumbiz03/DoorTrim.pdf

So you are left with this:

To install the Speaker kit, First remove the speaker. (For reference, I have Alpine Type S Speakers, so there is a spacer that Must be removed)

Next (This is specifically for those with spacers), You can easily mount the spacer on the 10"x10" Dynamat, and simply put the screw through it based on the Spacer. That way, it makes for a perfect fit on the door panel

Afterwards, You can take a knife or box cutter (I used a Pocket Knife), and simply cut out the circular space to place the speaker.... And then simply pull off the paper lining and attach the Dynamat to the door with the speaker opening. Make sure the holes line up with the hole openings so you can easily line up the spacer. Make sure you flatten out the Dynamat so it sticks to every contour of the Door frame.... This will help you achieve the maximum Sound Deadening for the Foz. One thing to note... With the speaker wire, You can run it behind the door panel, or run it behind the Spacer.

Next, Just simply reattach the Spacer and the Speaker, and You have the Speaker Dynamated!

Installing the Dynamat Door Kit:
This is pretty straightforward as well. First, You must pull off the plastic lining attached to the door. This comes off with ease

Next, Start with Dynamating the bottom half... This is the easiest place to start. Line it up with the bottom of the door panel matched to the dynamated speaker. The door trim attaches to the Door Panel with clips along the sides of the door, So make sure you know these locations, making it easier when you re-attach the door panel.

Pull off the paper lining of the Dynamat, and starting from the top, line up and attach the dynamat to the door. Carefully and precisely attach the dynamat to every curve of the door panel.... Where there's an opening for the door trim's clips, use a Screwdriver and poked a hole through the lining at each clip opening location. Cut off any remaining excess Dynamat that overlaps the door panel and save it for later use.... This is the result:

Next comes the Upper part of the panel. This is a bit more tricky, since the wiring for the door handle, as well as the wiring for the Door switches is on here. The easiest way is to line up the Dynamat on the door, with the existing dynamating on the lower portion of the panel, and figure out where the opening is for the door wiring. Then, Just simply take a knife and cut a small opening for the door wiring. Then simply pull off the paper-lining, run the door wiring through the dynamat, and attach to the door, making sure to line it up with the lower dynamated panel. Remember to check the location of the holes for when you reattach the door panel, and use a screwdriver to poke a hole through the dynamat..... And cut/remove any excess hanging dynamat from the door.This is your end result:

Then, using the PDF file i mentioned earlier, re-attach the Door Panel.

And there you have a Fully Dynamated Door! :woohoo:

·
Registered
2010 Forester
77 Posts
Why do the speaker kit if you're doing the entire door anyway?
Just a thought.

I plan on doing this as well. First thing I noticed on my 2010 was the very NON insulated doors... lol But an easy fix so I wasnt worried about it.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Great job & you 100% did it the right way.How do you like your better bass response?

joe r

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
wow awesome write up, definitely going to be doing this to mine really soon. How well did it eliminate the road noise?

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Good job man! If you want to save money, in the future you could go with Peel and Seal:

6" x 33.5' Peel & Seal™: Mobile Home Parts Store

It may have an ashpault smell for a few days. I've done a few installs with this stuff, one smelled and one did not. As long as you are installing on a clean surface it will stick FOREVER. Also, I'd choose Dynamat for overhead installs.

Are you going to do the cargo area too?

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Killer,
I wasn't sure how that would work... I just bought both.... But with all the extra material I have left over from the Door Kit, I really didn't need the Speaker kit.

joe & jkoppe,
Bass response is much better.... I can really crank my speakers and turn up the bass now a bit more, but I still need to Dynamat the Rear doors b/c I can hear A LOT of rattling back there... But in the front its pretty much Non-Existent. It's a bit quieter in the cabin but I haven't driven around that much to confirm.

nasarog,
I don't believe I have the baffles.... Its just the speaker attached to the spacer, attached to the door

fircrest,
I bought this stuff on ebay.... I believe it was $120 retail.... and I got it for about $55 on ebay with free shipping.

cuddles,
I'll look into that... I'm not a big fan of the smell though..... and Since I've already started with Dynamat, I'm looking to maintain the same material throughout the project... Eventually the trunk will be done... I plan on doing the rear doors next... and then dynamating the trunk... The bass still rattles in the trunk a little so it is in my future plans

shado & 09xt,
Thanks guys!

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Nice work!

RAAMmat is WAY cheaper than Dynamat and it works as good as Dynamat with no smell. You get 62 ft of it for around $100. Enought to do all 5 doors adn your hatch side panels and stil lhave left overs.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Jon the Baffles Nasarog is referring to (I believe) are the White, kinda square, pieces with the checkerboard pattern on them in pic #2. I'm guessing from your response that you just Dynamatted over them without securing them. There is a write-up here. There wasn't a TSB on it but Subaru is/was aware of the issue. Since it looks like you haven't had it done I really wouldn't worry about it. The dynamat should hold it just fine. It ain't gonna vibrate/move now.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sea-Scooby,
Thanks! I've heard a bit about raamat.... but in the end I decided to go with the Dynamat.

09XT,
Yeah, I ended up just dynamating over it. I actually don't understand what that piece was for, and I wager that even if it were loose without the dynamat, It will deffinitely stay in place with the dynamat on it... Plus, there's no rattling anymore.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
10 Posts
Nice work!!!

I was going to use Dynamat, but it was pricey. Then I was going to use Raamat, but that was still pricey. So I ended up using Peel and Seal from the roofing department @ lowes. Cheap and effective! My car is incredibly quiet now!

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Nice work!!!

I was going to use Dynamat, but it was pricey. Then I was going to use Raamat, but that was still pricey. So I ended up using Peel and Seal from the roofing department @ lowes. Cheap and effective! My car is incredibly quiet now!
^ See, I got a believer :biggrin: Do you have any asphalt smell with it?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
10 Posts
Cuddles - Not yet! I hope it stays that way! If it happens at any point in time I'll let everyone know. I did catch a whif of it here and there when I was applying it, but I truly believe that's the last I'll ever smell of it.

I tried heating that stuff up for about 30 minutes w/ a soldering iron and open eventually even open flame, and it still did not emit any asphalt like odors in excess of the faint smell I got from it when applying.

Also, to the op, that's a real nice thorough job! I didn't have the patience to do that much. Seeing your perfectly covered doors is inspiring.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
125 Posts
You know, I was thinking the same thing with the Ice shield stuff. Interestingly, I had a Canadian friend who did that to his S10 and it worked quite well. Didn't really think about the tar smell on hot days. Huh...

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there a purpose to the white plastic checkerboard thing?
Does removal affect anything?
Honestly, I have no idea... Don;t know what its purpose is... But the way it was fastened to the door, It looks like it could easily be popped off... I jus didn't bother so I just Dynamated over it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Just FYI........It probably has a purpose as I don't think Subaru would have gone to the expense of designing it, manufactuing it and putting it there. Some here have guessed that it is for safety purposes during a side impact/collision. Protecting/adding protection to the passanger compartment from internal door parts. I don't think anybody here really knows except the design engineers. I wouldn't remove it!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts