Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nightmare! Got my reg number for the outback and went to swop my private plate on line today. Paid the £80 abs thought that was straight forward. It then comes back giving me a new plate number for my new registration number Not my private plate. A mate says you need to pay to retain your private plate first. So, another £80 on line and did that. I then tried to change them over again. My private plate now has a new number assigned to it. Will it let me swop them over? Nope. I tried off and on for 3 hours to speak to a human to help me. Message says all our lines are busy try again later, click you are disconnected. Tried an on line chat. It’s a robot with specific questions it can answer, not mine. Not impressed and £160 out of pocket. The lovely Foresters have said bring all the paperwork in tomorrow and we will try to help you. I thought I was fairly intelligent, but this has beaten me! Will let you know how I get on tomorrow. Confused dot com.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,708 Posts
No humans Alan, :mad::mad::mad:just machines.
I recently did my my dads old plate after much research and paid £80 to get it on retention 6666DN.

I found the whole thing very confusing and annoying,........... Some that know me know i have a clenched fist most of the time, but for dvla i have two, you can never speak to any one..... Just machines AARGHHHAH!

·
Administrator
18,195 Posts
Sounds like our Federal government departments! However our DVLA state equivalent, the Roads and Traffic Authority, didn't have a great reputation either and so a few years ago they merged several state department's customer facing services into better managed state service centres and it seems to work well.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,189 Posts
The DVLA were crap before Covid but now they just keep going on strike on and off every other week at one point, which is why driving licence renewals are 3-4 months behind.

I can't imagine the backlog for other items they have a hand in managing to mess up........

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sounds very similar to the states with certain department of motor vehicle (dmv) departments. In my state trailers under 2000lbs don't require a title even if it came with one. no biggy right? not unless you sell it hahaha.... You can log in online and submit a release of liability (so the seller is not responsible when the vehicle changes ownership and the buyer does stupid stuff) when you sell it vs having to go in person or mail in documents... WRONG... Because it doesn't have a title the system just puts you in an infinite loop error. I tried every techy thing to man... changed web browsers, ensured thins were updated, backed off security settings and submitted a help desk ticket with screen shots etc. Called dozens of times to be told I have to come in person since its a non titles vessel...

wait 3 hrs just to be told "click, click, ok its done, thanks anything else i can help you with?" No mention or warning on the website and she said "oh ya those trailers you need to mail the paperwork in or come in person" This was over a month ago and I still never got a response from the helpdesk reporting the error lol vs just adding a small blerb in the site "this vessel requires documents to be mailed in due to title" or something similar lol...

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
907 Posts
I thought I was fairly intelligent, but this has beaten me!
That's where you've gone wrong, assuming a higher level of intelligence will yield a greater level of success with the DVLA... or any local, regional, national government or governing body at that...

Our local council issues parking permits to visitors (or local residents), you scratch off the day, date, etc, write the reg on then pop it on your dash... but when do these day passes expire?, midnight? 8am? 10am? No one at the council could answer that question, despite them actually issuing them... had to ask a parking warden in the end... (turns out they're useful for something!).

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its shabby treatment of the customer, us! The Civil Service is under the Microscope now that these poor folk have drowned.
Government saying its the Civil Service blocking them. Who do you believe? I believe the DVLA should hang their heads in shame.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Foresters ended up stuck on the same place as me then, you need to ring us. They tried for over an hour, no way Pedro.
So, I used the number they gave me that I didn’t ask for.
Re insured the outback like that.
Will wait fir the new log books to see what to do.
Bit twitchy about doing anything in case it has another hissy fit!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts