Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
363 Posts
Although Toyota has a minority stake in Subaru, the only Toyotas and Subarus manufactured together are the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ.
At one point in time. Subaru used to assemble the Toyota Camry. A car that is considered one of the most reliable cars. At times cars, just like any other piece of equipment, are going to fail. That does not mean the brand is bad or unreliable. Like college football. One year a team is on top another year a different team is on top.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
242 Posts
Ssgarfield, I wasn't trying to disparage you. It seems to me the Eyesight has a number of components. I wanted to know why and what failed. I can understand why for insurance or liability reasons they might replace everything, but as you have pointed out that can be very expensive. Still, I would have thought there was a longer warranty on those parts and that yours would still be covered.
As for the coil, I figured it was a metal defect. The same thing occurred with an old Honda Prelude back in the 80s. That was fixed free of charge under recall as well, but we did have to pay for a tow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think of is in the 80's Nissan bought back just about every 2.4L minivan it could reach the owner of due to overheating and fire issues that came from putting a 2.4 in the USA version. I think it was the biggest recall in US history.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2010 a new.
Got it in 2010.
156k on it. Major issues until I hit 150k. And even those are expected considering mileage and age.
I live in Invercargill in the deep south of New Zealand. For my retirement I bought a 2010 Outback 2.5T with Eyesight which my wife loves and a 2010 Forester 2.0T XT SIDI that I use. We have used them extensively visiting family throughout this region. Both now about 165km and no problems. We have a lot of unsealed roads and river gravel tracks and after fitting SUV tyres these are proving the right vehicles for the terrain without going to the heavier 4wds.

I also had a 1991 2.0T and just sold it at 475km. It had no major problems in all it's life and still drove like new. The new owner came over from Australia to buy it and has now got it over 500k. These are quite rare now and valuable and he is restoring it from a complete strip down.

My current project car is restoring a 1996 2.0TT at 275km. It goes well enough but there is an issue with the second turbo not coming on I am having trouble solving. I read that all these Subarus go best with 100 petrol and it is now available at the pumps in our city so I topped up this TT and it raised the boost considerably. It now holds 16psi first turbo and is supposed to go to 18psi on second but I am getting 12-14. Apparently these engines have an advanced detection system that can detect the grade of fuel and resets parameters accordingly. For example the knock sensor is only in play with poor quality fuels below our 98 but has no effect above.

In my case 100 fuels makes a big difference to my Forester and the gain in mileage is considerably more than the cost of the higher octane fuel. I like all the Subarus but the reports about the latest year versions since cvt are not so good. I have seen videos on YT which show the 2014+ models failing hill climbs that my version would eat so I am not sure about upgrading yet.

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT 4EAT
262 Posts
My BIL purchased an 08 or 09 OB. During ownership he had to do a number of routine maintenance tasks and some un-routine (HG, cat replacements, O2 sensors, and brake calipers replacement due to failing). He has written off Subaru due to the issues he faced with the car in his short ownership of less than 12 months. He also didn’t like specific things about it. In my mind he just purchased the wrong model and didn’t know enough up front when purchasing a used Subaru. Unfortunately I didn’t know everything I do now to have helped him in buying...

Some people just have bad experiences and because of them are better off with something else. Doesn’t mean one brand is better than another per se. And sometimes it’s not worth convincing people otherwise!

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Touring
13 Posts
Sold mine at the right time. 2015 Touring with EyeSight. Seats made creaking noise all the door seals started making noise. EyeSight would give false positives all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Unfortunately, when the Eyesight goes so does the cruise control and maybe the backup camera as well because that quit at the same time.

·
Registered
2014 Forester cvt
8 Posts
For the majority of those 5 years, Subaru's reliability in CR ranked at or near the top. It wasn't until reliability data started coming in on the 2019 Foresters and Ascents that Subaru dropped in CR's reliability rankings.
However, it would go without saying, Subaru’s still hold their resales, and reliability, overall, compared to its competitors, especially, domestic brands. Subaru has become a major player.

·
Registered
2014 Forester cvt
8 Posts
Check this guy out, he equates sales volume to product reliability. The Subaru marketing team loves you.
No, I don’t. “and” doesn’t mean “=“. Actually, if you knew better, “and” means “+”.

·
Registered
142 Posts
However, it would go without saying, Subaru’s still hold their resales, and reliability, overall, compared to its competitors, especially, domestic brands. Subaru has become a major player.
Yeah I'm sure it's a good step for Subaru when you start having to compare reliability to domestic brands. Hopefully the updates to the Forester and Ascent bring its rating back up.

No doubt the resale is one of the best.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts