Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier in the year I noticed that the Geolander G095 weren't great in wet weather stopping and cornering. Later I found that they were also inferior in dry stopping. Two weeks ago I spent my first day in snow and ice, and, you guessed it, I found they were pretty crappy in snow, slush and ice.

Today I have my new Nokian WR G2s. So far I can say they are quieter and corner and stop better in dry weather. They are slightly firmer. They have a bit more wiggle in the tread than the stock tires did.

On a related note, does anyone want to buy 3 Yokohama Geolander G095 tires with only 10,000 miles on them? I'll sell 'em to you for a bargain.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
279 Posts
Did you get the WR G2 SUV tires? I read they have an extra ply and stiffer sidewall that reduces the wiggle.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
308 Posts
I ditched my Duelers for Nokian WR-G2 SUV tires about 1,000 miles back. I thought they were a little more "wiggly" than the Duelers until I put about 500 miles on them. The Nokians settled down and are better than the stock Bridgestones in every way so far. Need to test the snow traction.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
279 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and spare tire info!

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I can officially report, after the large Washington DC snow event, that these tires are fan-damn-tastic.

Slush = Excellent
Dry ice = Good
Wet ice = As good as could be expected without studs
Packed snow = Excellent
Turning in slush and packed snow = Very good
DEEP SNOW, 18" = F'ing awesome

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
308 Posts
So I can officially report, after the large Washington DC snow event, that these tires are fan-damn-tastic.

Slush = Excellent
Dry ice = Good
Wet ice = As good as could be expected without studs
Packed snow = Excellent
Turning in slush and packed snow = Very good
DEEP SNOW, 18" = F'ing awesome
Have to agree 100%
Best darn tires I have EVER owned.

Haven't had a chance to try the 18" of snow yet- 7 inches has been our max this winter so far.

I tried them on wet ice and was amazed to be able to get the FOZ moving.

They are truly unbelievable in slush. Need to get a set for my wife's ride too.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Guys, I like the Nokains too, although I dont have them yet. One thing no one mentions is that Nokian calls them low rolling resistance tires, which should mean no hit to fuel economy when putting a set of them on and maybe an improvement in fuel consumption over the stock tires, maybe.

But I also have a question for those of you than own the WR G2's: can they be rotated side to side. In other words, can you dismount the tires and take the right front and mount it to the left rear with out swapping rotational direction? This would put the two water channels in the tread on the inboard side instead of outboard. Vice versa left front tire to right rear. I'm talking about removing the tire from rim and remounting.

The reason I ask is I've noticed mine tends to wear the outboard facing shoulder of the tread on all four tires faster,such that in order to balance wear you would need to rotate them in the order I mentioned, otherwise the standard front to back rotation staying on same side would not even out the shoulder wear. So can the WR G2's be run with the water channels inboard or outboard does it matter?

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
I'm thinking if such a bead-break rotation is not recommended by Nokian, then the only option is to adjust camber on each wheel through alignment to prevent the excessive wear to the outside shoulder of the tread on each tire.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not sure on the rotation thing. I'll need to check that out sooner or later.

I had some more real world driving experience with the tires. Hard packed snow covered highways are no match for the WR G2s. I spent a couple hours on hardpacked snow in upstate NY over the holiday break. Very predictable. Stopped great. Traction was excellent. These things are so good that I am getting worried that I will start driving too aggressively in the snow.

I have noticed no significant change in fuel economy.

Several hours on highways at 75MPH were quieter and smoother than the stock geolanders.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
can you dismount the tires and take the right front and mount it to the left rear with out swapping rotational direction
Why would you want to dismount the tires to rotate them ? just take the whole rim and move it from right front to left rear and then you wont have to worry ..

Edit

oh i see these are directional tires front to rear rotation only with those unless you want to spend some cash to have them remounted every 7000 mi
Kinda of a waste of money doing that id think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts