Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
45,000 KM 2007 XT (about 30,000 miles). 3 years old. Always in a tropical hot environment that has killed many wheel bearings on my previous cars.

I have a dull whine in the back at 80km/50 mph or more... it doesn't change pitch with acceleration. I think it's a wheel bearing (I can't decide which side) but it might be a diff issue. Is there any way to tell?

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo s
65 Posts
hello!

Hi there,

Sounds to me like a wheel bearing,mine did the same,usually jack up the car and check for any play by holding the wheel and wobbling from side to side,though there was no play in mine i noticed the noise got louder on right hand bends as the weight of the car shifted,pointing me to the left hand bearing.Very unusual for a diff bearing to go,they are pretty much bullet proof!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check for play in the wheel and also check to see if the sound changes when you shift weight side to side on turns etc. If so its probably the wheel bearings

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good ideas - the only problem now is finding a corner I can safely go around at 80kmh (in Singapore!).... :)

·
Registered
1999 Forester
112 Posts
If there's play in any of your wheels, you're on the verge of catastrophic failure.

Here's a good way to check:

With all four corners off the ground, spin the suspect wheel while placing your other hand on the coil spring. Any roughness in the bearing will be transmitted and felt through the coil spring.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I eventually replaced the bearings (inner / outer and seals). It made a huge difference in the sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts