Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DTCs P2751 and P0700 = CVT snafu? SOLVED (rodents + wires = $$$$)

EDIT: Dang it, now I see the Transmission section I didn't find before. Could a mod kindly move this thread there, if that would be more appropriate? Sorry, won't happen again! 0:)

Hi folks, I've been lurking here for about a year, since I bought my 2015 Forester 2.5i Limited, but haven't had much to contribute and haven't had any problems I couldn't solve. That last part changed last night and I don't know what to do now, so I hope this post is in the right place. Searches here and all over didn't yield anything very specific, so here goes:

After a 30 mile drive yesterday, I shut the car off for a couple hours. When it again and drove maybe 100 feet, the dash lit up full-Christmas tree style - warning lights for AWD, ABS, hill start assist, check AT, check engine, etc. Drivability seemed normal but after a couple minutes I noticed that the CVT didn't want to "up shift" at low-moderate speed, resulting in slightly higher RPM than normal. It would change ratios (whatever you call it with a CVT) but RPMs wouldn't really drop below 2000. I didn't go far, shut it off, started up again, same thing.

A cheap OBD2 scanner paired with Torque is showing codes P0700 and P2751. I've read that P0700 relates to the TCU, which makes sense, but I'm having trouble finding much about P2751. All I've seen is "Intermediate shaft speed sensor C circuit no signal," and some conflicting descriptions that sound completely different, but nothing on any forum about this code.

Anyone have any experience with a P2751 DTC? With this and the P0700, should I necessarily refrain from driving the vehicle? I'm a 40+ minute/20 mile stop-and-go drive from a dealer, and a 30+ minute/30 mile mostly highway drive from another. I do maintenance like fluid changes and brakes, and all sorts of DIY stuff at home, but I've barely touched this car and know nothing about CVTs except basic theory, and I need to get it sorted quickly.

The only potentially helpful thing I found is this suimpreza.com/products/DTC-P2751-INTERMEDIATE-SHAFT-SPEED-SENSOR-C-CIRCUIT-NO-SIGNAL-2891 (sorry, can't link due to low post count), but I don't know how applicable it is since it has to do with an Impreza and I'm a bit overwhelmed by it. So any help, advice, or accounts of similar issues would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll also add that I've seen some mentions about the BIU being linked to the ECU and TCU and sometimes triggering weird DTCs when it has an issue. I have used some cheap LED bulbs (dome and map lights, DRLs, license plate, front corner markers) which some people think can damage the BIU and result in various wonkiness. No idea if this means anything.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stealership says a rodent chewed the transmission wiring harness. Only option is $1100+ out of pocket. I'm very upset to find that Subaru uses soy-based wires and denies that this is a defect, even though it seems they are known to be attractive to rodents. I need transportation so I feel I have to pay this. I will hope it doesn't happen again before the car is closer to being paid off, then I will never buy another Subaru again, as much as I like this Forester and the 2007 Impreza I leased. This seems ridiculous to me that this is a know problem that is not warrantied. The possibility of potential class action lawsuits is little solace.

Thanks for the help. I'm guessing changing the harness requires dropping the transmission, which I do not have the time or technical know-how to do myself, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ah Rats!

What an expensive nuisance! Do you live in a rural environment?
My area is suburban, on the fringes of the Akron and Cleveland, Ohio area. I've never heard of rats around here but we do have field mice and chipmunks.

I did get some good news, which is that my insurance company, Geico, considers this animal damage that is covered under comprehensive policies. So I'm only going to be out my deductible, $200! The adjuster I spoke to said he expects to be seeing a lot of these cases over the next month or two as field mice look for shelter and warmth. It seems a lot of auto manufacturers use soy-based wiring, which rodents like to chew. It's a known problem that manufacturers refuse to admit is a flaw, and there are class action lawsuits pending against some of them, I think.

So $200 (hopefully!) and 2-3 days driving a 2018 Impreza Sport is the price. I'm not nearly as angry as I was a few hours ago. :|

Edit: I just drove the Impreza a bit, and I'm impressed. I liked the 2007 2.5i I leased but it was pretty basic, and the interior was downright cheap. This one looks nice, and the interior is light years from that 2007. It needs a sunroof, upgraded speakers, and maybe leather, but the steering wheel is fantastic, the media setup looks nice, the seats are supportive, and I don't hate the 18" wheels or anything on the exterior. Paddle shifters seem kind of odd paired with a CVT, but why not. If this repair goes as planned I suppose I'll still consider a next-gen Forester in a couple years, though it looks like there's no failsafe way to deter rodents from chewing wires on newer cars, if Google results count for anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts