Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am having other issues with my Forester at the moment, but thought Id best look into this..
I run Mobil1 full syn, 5W-30. That's what has always been in the car, and Im good with it. The car came from Connecticut, originally, and now resides with me in Florida.
It seems that any time the Fozz has been sitting for several hours-up to overnite, I get dry starts. I turn the key over, engine jumps to life, and knocks for a few seconds(2-3 secs @ the VERY most), until the oil gets moving. AND, when I change the oil, I always make sure my oil filter is completely filled(I always let it absorb oil and then add more. It tends to soak it up.) before installing, to avoid exactly what happens.
I know this could be major problems, like my oil pump, etc.
Just wondering if anyone has had the same problems, or info...
Thoughts on adding Lucas Oil Stabilizer? Ive used it in other cars, but not because I needed to. Seafoam? It's been over a year since Ive Seafoamed it. Switch to 10w-40 since Im in such a hotter environment?
Oh, and I have 148k on the clock...

THanks for any info guys(and gals)!!!!:puke:

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
Try various oils weights. I have a similar issue with a truck I own, if it sits more then 12hrs it will knock on start up. I have found that it only does it with a 5w__ anything no matter what the temperatures is. 10w__ anything, the oil seems to stick better.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subie 2003-- I have that knock too! At least I understand what it is now. Thought my valves needed adjustment.

flstffxe-- Exactly what I was looking for. I think Im gonna go to 10w-40. Its not gonna hurt my engine with constant 90 degree temps outside.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
If you're in Florida, I'd consider using a 10W-30 oil. I'm in suny Cali and I run Maxlife Syn 10-30 in the wife's Foz, and 10-30 Synpower in my Outback. When your coldest days are mid 30s (F), you don't need the 5W oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts