Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester Auto
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Has any of you changed the rear drum brakes for disc ones? I don’t really like the look of drum brakes and would prefer some disc brakes. Do you know if it’s difficult or have any vids or forum threads that outline the process? Thanks! I have ‘03X just in case.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
236 Posts
I did this to my 01 Forester L. You can go two routes: junk yard parts which I don't recommend and did not do, or new parts which i did.

The job will either be going to hell and back, or hard.

let me ask first have you ever taken the rear knuckles off the car before or have had the rear wheel bearings changed. how many miles on your subie?

I see your in PR. how heavily rust is the rear suspension?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,577 Posts
Yea changing on a powered axle vs conversion on a stationary spindle is worlds apart. Haven't done it but have changed beariongs on my 78 Subaru was challenging to say the least.

·
Registered
1998 forester
111 Posts
Wondering if someone can help me out and I don't want to make another thread. But here's my dilemma:

Vehicle: 1998 forester L
Issue: Drum to disc conversion. I am having the rear hubs swapped to an 06/07 wrx with the accompanying brakes (calipers/pads/rotors), but the parking brake lines aren't compatible.

Question: Would the parking brake lines from a disc brake forester work instead? I'm inclined to say yes but am unsure.

·
Registered
1998 forester
111 Posts
Actually recently had the job finished, so the sf is now on 4/2 pots. I've been reading that the master cylinder, brake booster, and proportioning valve should be swapped over from the donor car to even out the bias which I definitely feel.

Would anyone know if the 06/07 wrx parts simply drop in? Some model years are designed differently and require some major rerouting of lines, but I haven't any idea on this one. If anyone has done this, please let me know. Thanks![/quote]

Anyone know about this? Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts