Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It began a few days ago when being in an empty parking lot I stepped on the gas pedal heavier than usually while backing up. I applied pressure gradually but made it almost to WOT and suddenly... baamm .... it felt like a fuel cut, but it did not cause the Check Engine to light up. I tried to drive in rear again, slowly, and it worked fine. I didn't notice anything unusual.

Yesterday I went to another empty parking lot and tried to diagnose this a little more. I was able to climb on a curb being in rear gear a few times in a row, so the gear holds up well. Then I tried to drive in rear gear again. While driving slowly everything is fine, but when I pressed the pedal ~40% down ... baamm ... it happened again. But this time I got it when not being even close to WOT.

Like I said, it feels like a boost cut, but it doesn't turn the Check Engine light on. I jacked up the car and spent good 10 minutes under the car looking at the both rear and front diffs, searching for anything unusual, maybe a drop of oil or a burning smell, but didn't feel nothing.

Any ideas, guys? :confused:

·
Registered
07 FXT Sports 5MT
360 Posts
ummmmm

1) why are you trying to go WOT in reverse?

2) the car is simply not meant to do this

3) My educated theory: the car is cutting out to protect itself.
yes, like boost cut. yes like fuel cut. yes like a rev limiter

keep going WOT in reverse, and in all likliness,
you wont have a transmission left to worry about....

Jamie

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st time it was almost WOT, and I got there pretty gradually, no gas pedal stomping. The 2nd time it was far from fast and WOT, so something is obviously broken.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What do you mean when you say it felt like fuel cut? Did the engine just act as if the ignition had been turned off, or was it something else?

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
You know, Aleksey, if you didn't have a full tank of fuel, you could have run the gas away from the pickup. Although I am not so sure I would want to test this theory. Differentials in particular, and other drivetrain pieces, are NOT designed to run hard in reverse.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Retserof said:
What do you mean when you say it felt like fuel cut? Did the engine just act as if the ignition had been turned off, or was it something else?
It felt like the gear-wheels suddenly lost their connection and ... at first I thought that a few teeth were broken or something as I heard a metal on metal hit, but maybe it was just transmission hitting something while jumping on the mounts. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FXTIam said:
You know, Aleksey, if you didn't have a full tank of fuel, you could have run the gas away from the pickup. Although I am not so sure I would want to test this theory. Differentials in particular, and other drivetrain pieces, are NOT designed to run hard in reverse.
Hmm, interesting theory. But if it was just a design flaw we would hear this happening many times already. I think so at least.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Subie Gal said:
yes.... obviously..... something ......
Umm...I think something is simply out of adjustment, personally. There is a nut that needs adjusting :rolleyes:

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that nut is doing just fine. :p

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
Aleksey said:
Hmm, interesting theory. But if it was just a design flaw we would hear this happening many times already. I think so at least.
Nope. Most cars are designed to pickup fuel going uphill (forward), and the fuel runs away going downhill (or racing backwards). A design element, not a flaw. Besides, nobody else has admitted to ever doing anything like this - they wouldn't know!

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Aleksey said:
I think that nut is doing just fine. :p
...and you can't set up for a reverse-180 unless you pick up some speed first...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts