Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear brain trust:
I am going to be moving to Alaska for ~6 months, starting in March. I am planning to bring my Forester and after looking at the various options (drive, ship car on boat, ferry to Haines/drive the rest) it's looking like the cheapest option is easily going to be driving, barring any major delays or disasters. Wondering if anyone has done this drive around this time of year (or at all) and might have some advice on road conditions, preparing the car and self for such a trip (i.e. winterizing, engine block warmer, etc) or pro tips that will save me time/save me money/avoid headaches. I will be driving solo, with my car pretty much packed to the brim with personal belongings and toys. I just got new Geolandar A/T's put on, have a full-size spare and thinking this should be good enough paired with the subi AWD to get me there, but wondering if snow tires will be the preferred choice for exploring once I'm up there. I have plenty of cold weather camping gear in case of a real emergency and a robust emergency roadside kit but I've just been adding to it as I go, but again don't want to overlook something critical due to ignorance of travel in The North Country. Anyone have some insight?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
170 Posts
@cavemandave13 As a former motorcyclist, I frequented the ADVRider forum for many years. Along the way, I found this very helpful thread from a guy who lives in AK and rides the ALCAN regularly. You can find a lot of helpful info here:

Alaska Primer

Here is the link to the general Alaska section: Alaska

And, last but not least, this is the Trip Planning section - scroll down and check out threads that mention Alaska. Even though it's a motorcycle site, probably 95% of the info is still helpful for cages (cars/trucks/SUVs): Americas

If you are still looking for more, here's a link to our 2007 drive from Illinois to Alaska and back in our minivan. I was stationed in AK (Elmendorf AFB) from 1989-1996 and our son was born there. We took him back up before his senior year of high school. The travelogue is in 3 parts, and here is the link to Part 1: http://www.michaelelyard.com/Alaska 2007.htm You can get an idea of what the ALCAN looks like. (Hint: much better than when my wife and I drove it the first time in 1989!)

EDIT: Forgot to recommend getting a Milepost book. "The Bible of the North". Paperback - about 500 pages - mile by mile of every road to and from AK. New versions each year. Search Amazon. Costs around $25-$30. Indispensable.

Hope this helps. Safe travels to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts